Baked Alaska Parade

hova

On our last cruise (Holland America), we experienced the Baked Alaska Parade. From reading the Hal boards before I left to go on the cruise, I really looked forward to this spectacle, but, after experiencing it, I really never want to see or be part of that again. Really, it was just a bunch of passengers cheering, screaming and waving these white hankies over their heads while the crew danced around with these trays of ice cream. I really thought it over the top, and if the passengers want to pay their thanks to the crew, then there is more appropriate ways. Now my question…. Is there a parade on the NCL Star Mexican Riviera itinerary that I will need to avoid? If so, what night can I expect it, so I can make alternate arrangements?

hova

I enjoyed the parade on Carnival and RCI but I certainly don't miss it. I know our waiter felt like an absolute fool and I felt bad for him.

I felt especially bad when they dressed like Yankee Dooldle Dandy and made them sing God Bless America. Is that still happening on other cruise lines?

Just another reason why we like freestyle:D

Yeah, skip the singing and dancing. It feels so akward to watch your waiter jumping around like an idiot. And its painfully obvious that most of them hate it. Not something I will miss.

Leave the conga lines to the deck parties. When I go to the dining room in the evening, I want that upscale feel, linen napkins, lobster and prime rib, enough cutlery and glasses to feed a third world country, etc.

On our last cruise (Holland America), we experienced the Baked Alaska Parade. From reading the Hal boards before I left to go on the cruise, I really looked forward to this spectacle, but, after experiencing it, I really never want to see or be part of that again. Really, it was just a bunch of passengers cheering, screaming and waving these white hankies over their heads while the crew danced around with these trays of ice cream. I really thought it over the top, and if the passengers want to pay their thanks to the crew, then there is more appropriate ways. Now my question…. Is there a parade on the NCL Star Mexican Riviera itinerary that I will need to avoid? If so, what night can I expect it, so I can make alternate arrangements?

hova

No silly Baked Alaska parades on NCL - another reason to love Freestyle cruising.

Baked Alaska used to be a really cool spectical for the simple minded folks such as myself. Before stringent regulations they used to light the whole cakes on fire and parade around with the huge flames. Then in one instance on a cruise that I was on the waiters dipped their fingers in something that allowed them to light their fingers on fire which also looked pretty cool.

Due to fire and personal safety concerns they removed all the interesting elements of the show, so now you are left with crew, in custume, singing and a disruption of food service.

Although I suspect that with the right amount of alchohol it would still be a very fun occassion. For the people who did not like the spectacle, do you feel you were sufficiently intoxicated that evening at dinner?

Although I suspect that with the right amount of alchohol it would still be a very fun occassion. For the people who did not like the spectacle, do you feel you were sufficiently intoxicated that evening at dinner?

Wow, that's a powerful comment! :rolleyes:

I thought is was fun and I had not been drinking or taking drugs.

I felt especially bad when they dressed like Yankee Dooldle Dandy and made them sing God Bless America. Is that still happening on other cruise lines?

Just another reason why we like freestyle:D

Lordie, is anyone still doing that? I remember my first cruise back in 1994 and they had theme nights each night. This was a Carnival cruise. Anyway, The God Bless America and Yankee Doodle with an American themed cuisine was a bit much.

But hey, I liked the Baked Alaska parade! Go figure.

Oh no, that's so much fun! Both Carn. cruises I've been on I got up and danced with them. No alcohol either, just F-U-N. My dh really thought it was hilarious, then our waiter grabbed him and we were all in the conga line. It's just fun. "Hot Hot Hot" I think they did it on the last night.

Archived