? on PC Dining vs. Main Seating

bzv143

For any of you great sailors who have been through the PC dining-- If we book Main Seating, can we opt out on one or two nights and go to one of the restaurants? Will there be any extra charge?

It sounds like PC dining could be a real hassle: those of you who have gone this way say the best thing to do is to book reservations immediately after you board, but we never know day to day if we want a particular type of food and at what time. So for our family, would PC dining be problematic? icon_confused.gif

No you can't hop in and out of either PC or traditional. You do get offered the PC menu of each PC rest. ONE night of the week. As to the "hassle" of PC that is expectation based. If you go to any place to eat when everyone else does it is busy. Tradtional certainly is busy all at once, so if you want to play it by ear, do so, but understand you may need to wait or go another time or pick another restuarant just like at home. Both are good options but PC works just fine with a small amount of effort.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

You can visit the alternative restaurants if you are booked in Traditional dining. It's considered polite to give advance notice to your tablemates and/or wait staff. That way they won't be delayed waiting for your arrival. You will have to pay the extra charge for using the alternative restaurants if you choose to do so.

We have also had Anytime dining and didn't have too many difficulties with it. For a family, you probably could get a standing reservation without any problem. The dining room staff are more reluctant to give reservations for tables-for-two at peak dining times (approximately 7 - 8:30 PM) and understandably so. They have to make the best use of their limited space.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It sounds like PC dining could be a real hassle: those of you who have gone this way say the best thing to do is to book reservations immediately after you board, but we never know day to day if we want a particular type of food and at what time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> bzv143 You do not say which ship. Have not had to do that in the PC Dining room on the Grand Princess, Sun Princess, Island Princess, or Dawn Princess. Sometimes have called in the morning, gone to the dining room when wanted, and have had a standing reservation

Future cruises:

5/04 HAL-Amsterdam-Alaska

9/04 Star Princess-Med.x2 Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess-Mexican Riviera

July 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Aug. 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess- Southern Caribbean x2

03 Grand Princess-W.Caribbean

03 Sun Princess -Mexico

03-Tahitian Princess-Tahiti/ Cook Islands

03 Royal Princess-x2 British Isles & Norwegian Fjords/ Iceland

03 Island Princess-Panama Canal

01 HAL Ryndam x 2-S. America San Diego to Valpariso/ & around Cape Horn to Rio

00 Sky Princess-China/Orient

79 Sitmar's Fairwind- Caribbean/Panama Canal

I just called Princess to change my traditional, second seating to PC. They suggested not to change and that I will be able to eat at PC diningrooms every night if I would like, or stick with traditional. I guess Traditional gets filled up. If confirmed with PC, there is not an option to go to Traditional.

Violet

Diamond Princess 11/27/04

Thanks for clearing that up, Sue. I apologize for not making a more clear distinction between the alternative and Anytime eateries.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

There is very often a waiting list of traditional, and yes you can opt out after you board. It's easier to change from traditional to PC than the other way around. But please, if you opt out entirely, do let the head wiater know so they can give your place to someone who really wants traditional dinning.

On my last cruise four people showed up one night and then never again. So we had four empty places and people still on the waiting list.

1952 - Excalibur (freighter)

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

It sort of ruins the traditional dining for those you are sharing a table with if you really arent planning on being there very much but are just holding the space...

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

I'm still a bit unclear. I asked the question when this subject was brought up another time regarding an extra charge for Sterling and I was answered (I think by SuzyCruiser, but not 100% sure), that Sabbitinis was the only place where there was an extra charge. Will someone please clarify.

Thanks,

Lynda

Lynda,

Depends on the ship, Sterling is pay per view on all ships except Diamond and soon Saphire.

Violet, all of our group is PC, you can stay at traditional if you want but I doubt you will be happy listening to stories of our meals together that you weren't a part of.

Diamond Princess 12/04

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

srphnx: Then, this is a true statement: I will be on the Diamond and if I eat in the Sterling, I will not be charged anything extra for the meal. True?

Thanks again for replying to my redundant (sp?) question.

Lynda

Lynda, VERY true, Sterling is a NON-upcharge dining room on Diamond along with Pacific Moon, Vivaldi, and Santa Fe. IF and ONLY if you are PC. The international is also available to PC diners for breakfast and diner.

But understand this.. you can go from traditional to alternative i.e. Sabatini's which is the $20pp dining room but you can NOT go to PC from tradtional. You would get a PC menu from one of the PC rooms in traditional for four of the nights of the cruise. We loved sterling and eating there once would not have been enough.

It wouldn't make sense to let you go to PC from traditional, the people who are signed up for it would have to wait for tables that were theirs. Nor can PC go to traditional for the same reason.

Pick one approach, we have done PC and liked it JUST fine. If you have some reason you can't or don't want to ok, we understand but the maitre'd does ask for cabin # and will check to see your dining preference.

Diamond Princess 12/04

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

Thanks for all the input... but can you clarify further: we will be sailing onboard the Sapphire 12/23; the cruise is 14 days. Out of the 14 days, I am sure we (family of 4) would possibly like to sample--at least once--some of the other dining rooms. I certainly understand the empty table in traditional, and now I know to warn waiters/tablemates of the no-show for a certain night. After 17 cruises, DH,kids, and I are still die-hard traditional diners-- but-- would still like to at least try a different dining room for just a few of the 14 nights.

So, on Sapphire, will all the alternative eateries be available w/o charge?

Thanks again for any info... you all are the greatest for critical information! icon_biggrin.gif

Alternative yes.. and that is Sabatini's...

Personal choice venues NO... those are for PC diners. You will get the menu in the traditional dining room but you will NOT be allowed to go to the rooms reserved for PC diners.

If you want to Traditionalize PC, you can select PC and then opt for the same table and waiters each night, then a few times in the cruise try the other PC venues.

You can NOT have it both ways, it is EITHER OR.

Diamond Princess 12/04

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

I am feeling very stupid right now to ask this again. OK, here goes: I am on the diamond and I am signed up for traditional dining; therefore, I will not be able to go to Sterling. The only other dining area I can go to is Sabbitinis for a price. How's that.

Thanks again for putting up with me,

Lynda

That is accurate.

Traditional means traditional... not tradtional most of the time.

PC means you have 4 choices, none of them tradtional.

Both options can opt for a meal at Sabatini's for a $20pp cost.(on other non-diamond/saphire ships there is a sterling you can pay for)

IF you are tradtional and you want to BECOME PC prior to sailing you can and then traditionalize your PC by asking for the same time and table in a PC venue.

No problem putting up with you Lynda, but try to understand what a mess it would be if a big % of PC showed up to Tradtional or visa versa.. pick one and be happy.

Diamond Princess 12/04

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

If this is your Mothers first cruise, she will prefer traditional anyway, the service is generally more personal. The traditional dining room is found on deck 6 at the aft elevator bank, you can not walk to it on 6 as the galley gets in the way. Take 7 to club fusion and go down one deck.

Once you find it, take a roll and leave bread crumbs for the next seating.

Diamond Princess 12/04

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

Thanks, will leave bread crumbs. icon_wink.gifMom has been on several cruises and I still can't get her to change although I am working on her. This would be the ideal cruise to try it since we are in a suite and should have no trouble with any of the reservation times.

Lynda

You could make a "mistake" and change to PC during a "junior moment" as opposed to a senior one.

Diamond Princess 12/04

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

srphnx,

Just curious where you are getting the information regarding the EITHER/OR choice.

I have been told by people that have cruised with PC dining that I can book traditional AND still choose to visit one of the anytime dining rooms a couple of nights if I want to.

I understand that leaves a space at the traditional table but I have been told that it is acceptable to do so. Out of courtesy of course it is nice to let the traditional dining room know of your intentions for that evening.

Am I missing something?

Days until Sapphire Princess!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived