Is an balcony worth the extra money

I am sure this has been asked before but couldn't find it. :o I am planning an cruise next June through the Baltics. Was just wondering if an outside cabin would be all right.:confused: Or is an balcony prefered and worth the extra cost. Since the cruise is so port intensive.:eek: I can't seem to make up my mind. Thank you:)

Delores

You probably will get less use out of a balcony on the Baltic cruise than other more tropical itineraries. One exception for us was when we departed Stockholm and sailed through the Stockholm archipelago. It was a lovely evening and we were on the balcony for hours because the scenery was very much like the Alaskan Inside Passage. My wife is a bit claustrophobic and once we booked a verandah suite on our second cruise, there is no turning back - we're hooked on having the verandahs.

Ditto for us. We sailed the Baltic in August, and we loved our verandah. But then again, once we started with a verandah several years ago, we would never go back to a cabin without one. We even missed one on our Danube River Cruise last year, as the river cruise ships don't have balconies:(

Mike

We were on the Sept. 12th Star Princess sailing and we have several pictures taken from deck 14 of all the empty balconies. It got to be a joke to see if we could ever find anyone on their balcony. On this sailing I don't think its worth the extra money.

It was well worth it to us on our 8/27 Constellation sailing of the Baltics this year. We had wonderful weather (no rain at all, mostly sunny, high of 65-75 degrees), and we used the balcony a lot and had the door open to listen to the ocean almost all the time that we were in the room, including the nights. We also have 4 days at sea, so the number of sea days may help with your decision. It definitely added to our trip, and it would have taken away a lot if we hadn't had one. And we are some of the passengers who are not in our cabin much at all, but you have to be in there some to shower, dress, etc. Having the scenery in the Swedish archipelago just a few feet from the balcony was awesome.

I've sailed the Baltics twice, once with a balcony and once without, and I highly recommend the balcony, but whether or not you get your $$ worth will depend on the weather in my opinion, and that's unpredictable.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Delores,

As a rule I love balcony cabins. However, as I usually travel as a single the price can be high. I rather save money sometimes & not book a balcony.

In my opinion the Baltic cruise on the Star Princess is one that you could do without the balcony. The cruise is so port intensive you do not spend much time in your cabin.

When I was on the Star in August we did not cruise the Stockholm archipelago. That would be a reason to have a balcony.

If you can afford it - go for it. Otherwise save it for another cruise :)

We also just went on the Jewel of the Seas this past August and originally splurged for the balcony because it was our anniversary...we're so glad we did!! Every morning/afternoon we would go out on the balcony and take pictures of each country as we pulled in and left. the views were incredible and well worth the money...

Archived