Balcony newbie - please help with my dilemma

123happy

We had an aft balcony on our Conquest cruise, and wish we had one for our upcoming Dream cruise as well.

Loved, absolutely LOVED it!!! I had heard about it being hot in the back of the ship so I was concerned about that, but we cruised in January so maybe that made the difference as I never found it unbearable. Maybe during the summer would be hotter.

There was room for a lounger (besides the regular two chairs and small table) and we asked our room steward to bring one and he did. I am the type of person that enjoys a little "peace and quiet" in the afternoon so I spend quite a bit of time enjoying that lounger on our aft balcony. I tried to read, really I did, but I would read a paragraph or two in my book and then gaze at the wake. It is mesmerizing.

And I loved having that panoramic view, especially when pulling into and leaving ports. Plus, we cruised down the river for several hours (we left from New Orleans) before getting out to sea so it was wonderful watching from our balcony and being able to see everything side-to-side.

Yes, if you were standing at your railing people in the balconies beside you could see you, and people above could see you. But if you were sitting back on the balcony, near the door, they could not. So the privacy issue, to me, was never a problem.

We never had soot or any debris on our balcony. It was so quiet back there, as others have said there is minimal foot traffic.

We never felt any unusual vibrations either, as others have mentioned. Maybe that depends on the ship.

I would book another aft balcony room in a heartbeat if I could.

Edited by Yvonne

Aft and aft wrap balconies have no shade. If you dont book those, you are fine.

Question: you mentioned aft wrap balconies having no shade. I'm booked in an aft wrap on the Magic on Vista Deck (one deck under Lido). I've been told just the opposite - that I will only have shade in this cabin. I know I may hear some chair-dragging from aft pool but I'm an early riser, so that won't be a problem.

Does anyone know whether this cabin (9472) is shaded (I hope so)? I lay out at Serenity or aft adult pool when I want sun - I use my balcony to relax and read in the late afternoon.

Any information would be appreciated.

Question: you mentioned aft wrap balconies having no shade. I'm booked in an aft wrap on the Magic on Vista Deck (one deck under Lido). I've been told just the opposite - that I will only have shade in this cabin. I know I may hear some chair-dragging from aft pool but I'm an early riser, so that won't be a problem.

Does anyone know whether this cabin (9472) is shaded (I hope so)? I lay out at Serenity or aft adult pool when I want sun - I use my balcony to relax and read in the late afternoon.

Any information would be appreciated.

We love balcony cabins ... I'm one of those people that *has* to have one now. We've had an aft cabin once and, while it was nice, I do prefer cabins on the side. The heat wasn't as much an issue for us but there wasn't as much breeze and I love the breeze coming from the sea. There was some soot on our balcony from the whaletail but it didn't bother us too much. Also, I prefer being able to see where we're going instead of where we've been which is kind of a bummer when pulling into port although I guess it was nice when leaving and the wake is awesome. Don't get me wrong; I still loved the balcony and had a great time, but just prefer the side.

Edited by GwenyP

Sorry about the fan mistake.

I still don't think there is a place to plug one in on the balcony. We are usually too cold inside so don't bring one although I know some like the white noise it makes. I cannot imagine lugging a full size box fan onto a ship but I suppose everyone travels differently!!

We bought small ones that use batteries, so we can use them anywhere in our room our balcony.

We've had both aft and side balconies. Didn't much care for the windiness of the balcony on the side, especially if sailing into a headwind. Just enough of a breeze in the aft for me. As to the sun , depends on which way you ship is facing in regards to the sun. Didn't have much sun heading to GC/Jamaica , lots of sun heading back to NOLA. Got some nice pictures of the sun setting over the wake...

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app