Carnival Conquest May 14th through 22nd

PamalaX

Yep, agreed that is one great day trip for anyone with a day in St Maarten.

Yeah we were hearing the same thing inside the building. The number varied from 4 to 6 people but some people not showing up as going off the ship ( really wonder if they may have gone out without card scanned ) was what we heard over and over about the delay.

Sorry to hear you suffered that badly in the muster. I was extremely uncomfortable but never really feeling I'd drop. Oh and I was in the second to the back row at just 5ft tall. The more they said take a step back and scoot closer together the more I was getting squished in there. Everyone around me much taller I couldn't see anything at all and felt like there was NO AIR down my way. The only saving grace was the guy next to me, one I suspect had had a few, making jokes about our muster area "C". Just a little fun'n on the fact we were in "C"

"Can you C anything?... I don't C why we have have to stand here so long ... Can they C we are dying in this heat." Myself and another joined in with our own C jokes and all had fun until I sang "Oh say can you C". Right about then the mans wife looked over at all of us and said " Enough! ". Not mean, pretty funny timing and lets be honest as miserable as we all were the lady had a point so we shut up and waited sweating quietly until released. :)

The Conquest was my favorite ship - sailed on her last September. Loved the tiered decks, especially at night watching dive-in movies. Plenty of space to find lounge chairs all day and evening. Adult pool and hot tubs in the aft were a nice place to enjoy. Cabin was great, service impeccable as usual. Food average to very good.

I really didn't see or experience a single negative thing! Great ship and great vacation!

Sorry for the gap in posting. We took what we called a hometown excursion to the art museum all day yesterday.

Anyhow, back now lets get back to it.

On to stop two, St Kitts.

The guys, husband and son, had a snorkeling excursion planned so they were up, fed and off the boat bright and early. That left the daughter, her fella and I to enjoy the port. That was the idea until we stepped off the boat and the *Got a great tour for you* guys came calling. They were a little pushy but the one we finally gave in and stopped to talk to was also funny and sweet. I guess lesson learned there is if one of them rubs you the wrong way walk on to the next. Anyway he started his pitch on a great and beautiful tour of the island complete with tasty rum punch for only $15 each. Young and on a tight budget the daughter pulled a ten out, looked at it and said "I don't know." After a quick look at their faces and a motherly "You think you really want to go." I pulled out a twenty making the man say "Hey! Thanks to your Mom it looks like its a beautiful rum punch tour for $5 each." Laughs all around the kids passed over their 10, my twenty and they were on their way.

The daughters review upon return:

"Sort of thought we were going to get murdered when the guy led us down an alley and behind a building but at the end of that was a full open air bus of people and we felt safer knowing that was a lot to kill all at once. Kidding aside its was really a great tour. The scenery was beautiful, punch was good and everyone had a good time together for the two hours."

She says its a really good deal if you are looking for something to do there spur of the moment and don't want to break the bank.

That left me on my own.

For the record I suffer from Fibromyalgia. Struggling with pain all the time and crippled by it if I push too hard I tend to let them go off and do these things while I hang about shopping and enjoying the port. While it sounds a little sad and lonely believe me its not at all to me. I LOVE people watching and being Mom, wife and a host of things with loads of people around means I am rarely alone in real life. A cool drink with a comfy seat where I can sit and watch the world go by really is my idea of good time. I probably look a lil pathetic doing this to passers by but I really am having a great time.

Great port with fun had by all.

As always any question at all just ask away.

Oh and PICTURES!!

000000000000aaaaaaaavacation7_zpsbdll70fu.jpg

000000000000aaaaaaaavacation8_zpsgeskefg3.jpg

000000000000aaaaaaaavacation22_zpszwyu6kmm.jpg

13263934_10208032897034033_7008224399587293714_n_zps1e6bxqsk.jpg

13245291_10208032897434043_8113512183546681078_n_zpsbcdkq6ft.jpg

13239390_10208032897834053_2166367790308140864_n_zpscgt1ivht.jpg

Wouldnt it be better just arriving at about 1 or 2 o'clock?

Would rather sit in a bar somewhere nice than line up with the masses! :-)

Our hotel had an 11:00 check out time. We requested an extension until noon, but didn't feel we could push it later than that. Being burdened with luggage, it never occurred to us to sit in a bar somewhere!

At 1:00, the line was longer than it was when we arrived at 12:20, so that wouldn't have been an improvement. Maybe by 2:00 it would have been better. We boarded around 2:20 - still plenty of people in lines in the terminal behind us, but we don't know what the situation was outside. And we still would have had the issue of having to check out of the hotel well before 2:00.

We have never experienced an embarkation like that. As we are sailing out of Port Everglades again next year, we are wondering if this was due to some unusual event or if it's the new normal these days. Prior to next year's sailing, we will pay attention to stories from cruises prior to ours in order to decided what time to arrive. :)

I had a similar experience in port Everglades in February of this year. I'm sailing on conquest again next May and decided to purchase FTTF this time as insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review so far! We are sailing on the Conquest on the 13th and have purchased FTTF.

We sailed out of Port Everglades in late January on RC's IOS and we ended up waiting hours (3 + hours!) in the sun for a delayed embarkation. I figured it was maybe a one time thing, but it seems like it was not nor was it limited to certain cruise lines.

I live about 10- 15 minutes from the port and that is a main reason for leaving from Port Everglades. Although Miami is a little bit of a longer drive for us, we have never had an issue with delayed boarding on Carnival or NCL at POM.

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Edited by CocoCandy

Two ports down and two to go I say its time for a look around the ship.

Sound good?

Daughter who just graduated college had a nice run of luck.

Won $50 at BINGO and was picked and won at Hasbro the Game Show.

Okay its not a *big girl job* win yet but it was still a nice little run.

000000000000aaaaaaavacation018_zpsyxtxaput.jpg

000000000000aaaaaaavacation017_zpsjpp4jado.jpg

000000000000aaaaaaavacation09_zpsuplnfx0q.jpg

000000000000aaaaaaavacation07_zpsy3tkcomw.jpg

Deck parties!

This was 80's night and what you are seeing is a lot of less than pro dancers working their very best Thriller moves.

000000000000aaaaaaaavacation6_zpsg7clixax.jpg

Movies, with enough popcorn to go around for a change, anyone?

13301372_1102869106440550_2339680954322197616_o_zpsypvw08qh.jpg

Shows were good BUT even I am starting to wonder how often the come up with new ones after seeing "The Brits" yet again. Seriously how often do they change these shows? Lines were long for the comedy shows but this was the first time I ever got in and got a good seat without having to wait forever outside beforehand. More points for the May sailing.

Did some karaoke and finally was able to stay up late enough to go to *The Quest*... which is tons of fun and a complete riot. Well maybe not so much fun if you are easily offended but we loved it and understanding "the first rule of Quest is we don't talk about Quest" lets just say I'm glad I had on a long blouse so the potential son in law could borrow and wear my skirt when he needed it most. Just go... or ... uhhh... maybe don't if you get offended or embarrassed easily.

My pleasure. I love reading reviews -- been reading Glory ones since we booked a week back -- so I figure the least I can do in return is offer up one myself.

As for the embarkation issues thing we only went to Port Everglades this once and heading back to Miami for the next cruise I think we'll be hard pressed to give it another go. Beyond the problems from this go these is something much more appealing about the Miami port for me. The facilities you use are very nice and, if you are lucky enough to be be pointed wrong way around, I LOVE the experience of going down and using the turning basin before you set sail. If something comes up that cannot be passed up we may try again but for no once was enough.

Now that I think about it has anyone, one with more experiences there, had a smooth or easy embarkation at Port Everglades? One from the past or even perhaps an update from those of you still to leave out of there this Summer. I'd be curious to hear how it went after you sail and wager a few others would want to know as well. Just if you are willing of course.

My sister and I were on this same cruise, and we also find May to be a great time for a cruise. :D

To PamalaX, what was your embarkation experience? We arrived at the terminal about 12:20, and then we stood in a slow moving line for about two hours before reached the check-in desk. All of that time was standing, mostly outside, though thankfully in the shade. We have embarked in Port Everglades several times recently, as well as Miami, Port Canaveral and New York, and we have never had such a long wait - while standing. (Carnival did pass out free bottles of water to those waiting outside.) We are sailing from Port Everglades again next May, and we are wondering what time to arrive in order to avoid that experience.

After checking in, we were able to board immediately. Finally! From then on, we enjoyed this ship and the 8-day itinerary.

We were on this cruise also. We had a grand suite and were the last one in the vip room before they announced the delay for embarkation. They were telling people in the room it was a wedding causing the delay. I was telling people they always say that based on reviews here on cruise critic. Once we were allowed to get on, my daughter wanted the internet package so we went down where the cafe use to be. Low and behold there was a huge wedding taking place in one of the bar areas. So I guess they could have been telling the truth.

San Juan?

Just for curiosity does anyone know why port days here are so short? We were only there until 2pm this cruise and our next is still only to 3. Not really a big deal I guess but I'm just sort of wondering since it always seems the shortest stop.

Lets go mostly pictures with a bit of commentary.

Some went up to the Fort for time but beyond that we just sort of hung around town having a drink, getting a bite and SHOPPING. Shopping was good. Daughter got herself a snappy MK knock off ( should have gotten myself one ) handbag while the rest of us bought T shirts. Beyond the shopping for keepsakes I love how everyone went nuts at the CVS before boarding. Crazy busy in there with cruisers buying soda, snacks and all kinds of goodies in bulk like they were back in the USA. USA shopping and boy oh boy did everyone go right for their cellphones.

Conquest in the San Juan sunshine.

000000000000aaaaaaaavacation12_zpselp97mf2.jpg

Well in the sun until the rain came at sail away time.

Only rain we got all cruise it really came down in buckets leaving San Juan.

Love the look of it all there.

Cobblestones all over with narrow roads. Find it visually appealing to the point I just sort of wandered around looking at it all much of the time.

13246449_1102870516440409_5784146416278784023_o_zpsqhmdfxp3.jpg

A Hillary gal myself I thought some would enjoy this.

13245347_10209431785940760_8600698982465441136_n_zpstzlkuwqh.jpg

000000000000aaaaaaaavacation14_zpsy1r0pew0.jpg

000000000000aaaaaaaavacation13_zpsmfkicarg.jpg

Rain starting to fall as we go we got one last look at the fort on sail away.

000000000000aaaaaaaavacation15_zpsubfqtzst.jpg

We are sailing on the Conquest June 25th with our kids (22 boy, 17 boy and 10 girl) and can not wait. We went on the Breeze last year and they loved it. Only thing I am afraid of is the Oasis of the Seas is embarking the same day, hope they won't be disappointed when they see that ship :)

It was next to us coming and going this time around and my kids, 22 and 19, had no envy at all. All they saw was crowds and long lines when they saw the size of that one next door. Heck because of the lower passenger numbers and the great layout around the pool area they even preferred the Conquest to our Breeze trip. They enjoyed and certainly saw the appeal in the new and bigger but they love relaxing around the pool so much that all the tiers and lounging room on that size ship won out. Just booked for next year and they passed up Vista for another Conquest class ship in Glory.

Have a great time.