Questing Regarding Carrying On Drinks

Maris1188

When you carry on soda (12 cans of 12oz or less) does the carton have to be sealed? I was thinking it would be nice to have a few cans of root beer to make root beer floats and then have some regular soda to sip on throughout the cruise (I am not a big soda drinker) but I didn't know if that was acceptable.

Also, would it be frowned upon for my 4yr old to carry on drinks as well? She couldn't carry them herself so basically I would be carrying her juice (is juice the same idea, it's allowed in a bottle/carton/can as long as it's 12pk 12oz or less?), my soda and my wine in one bag. Is that okay?

I always put the cartons of soda in a rolling bag - they do open the cartons and so you sometimes have loose cans - you can mix and match - I like root been, coke and sprite so my 12 are usually 4 each of those. Everyone can have a 12 pack in the carry on. On our last cruise, even the three year old had a 12 pack - not for him but for my son-in-law, his father, who is a heavy soda drinker. We did, however, come home with some still in the bag.

When you carry on soda (12 cans of 12oz or less) does the carton have to be sealed? I was thinking it would be nice to have a few cans of root beer to make root beer floats and then have some regular soda to sip on throughout the cruise (I am not a big soda drinker) but I didn't know if that was acceptable.

Also, would it be frowned upon for my 4yr old to carry on drinks as well? She couldn't carry them herself so basically I would be carrying her juice (is juice the same idea, it's allowed in a bottle/carton/can as long as it's 12pk 12oz or less?), my soda and my wine in one bag. Is that okay?

bottle/carton/can

No Bottles except the wine bottles. Juice must be in cans or boxes

I would in fact recommend not using the carton if possible, even if it's not sealed. On our last cruise two of us put our cans in a few of those huge ziploc bags inside a cloth shopping bag and the third had hers in a carton. The two of us using the shopping bag breezed through the security check because they could easily see all the cans by partially lifting out the clear bags (and we had both of our soda allowances in a single bag with no issues). The third got detoured to an inspection table where she had to wait for someone to root through the carton and then re-seal it.

The shopping bag then doubled as our tote for carrying towels/sunscreen/etc around the ship.

There were 10 of us in our family traveling through the Port of Miami. We carried on 7 soda cartons and 3 cases of water (this was last year when you were allowed). We carried them on for my nephews which the youngest two were under 5. We had no issues, no one asked to inspect our cartons or our wine. The only thing that was inspected was my fathers gallon jug of distilled water for his CPAP machine.

I brought 12 16oz cans of monster. While going through security I was told i didn't even have to take it out of my backpack when I asked. My husband was carrying a 12 pack of Minute Maid lemonade (to mix with our vodka on the rocks we order since we do not enjoy Carnival lemonade) and that was no problem. At all. No inspections no issues.

Just off the Victory (Bermuda cruise). We have a small cooler with wheels that holds around 20 cans (might be 24, can't remember since I didn't pack it). This cruise we had 12 cans of diet coke and the rest sprite zero. When we went thru security (the third trip with this cooler), they didn't even look in it, just asked if there was any ice, and one of the persons was questioning the size of the cooler, and I said we'd taken it several times with no problem, and it went on thru. I also had my two bottles of wine in my carry on. The drinks were not in the cartons, just loose in the cooler.

Edited by Bostwick girl
Left out something I needed to say!

There were 10 of us in our family traveling through the Port of Miami. We carried on 7 soda cartons and 3 cases of water (this was last year when you were allowed). We carried them on for my nephews which the youngest two were under 5. We had no issues, no one asked to inspect our cartons or our wine. The only thing that was inspected was my fathers gallon jug of distilled water for his CPAP machine.

Has there been a change regarding carrying on bottled water? We are sailing in September with my 4 year old grandson who will only drink water.

Has there been a change regarding carrying on bottled water? We are sailing in September with my 4 year old grandson who will only drink water.

Correct, they changed the policy that you can no longer carry on bottled water. You can buy it in the fun shops online before you board and pay for it before hand or you can buy it when you get on board, but then you have to pay tip also. Best thing in my opinion is to order now and it will be waiting for you in your room when you board. I believe it is $3.99 for 12 16oz bottles, but I could be wrong. Happy cruising!!