Digital camera recommendation

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me out with a recommendation for a digital camera. I know nothing about photography except to point and shoot!

For the most part I take pictures with my phone, and while they come out decent enough, they pale in comparison to those of friends with SLR cameras. I've avoided buying one those because I know nothing about photography, they're bulky/have lots of pieces and parts, and expensive.

Of course I'm not expecting a small camera will be able to give me the same quality, I'm wondering if there's anything out there that might be closer than my phone.

Criteria:

Small enough to fit in an average size purse or tote

Waterproof (snorkeling and beach, not diving)

Have an image viewer

Hopefully under $300

We will primarily be using this when we go away on vacation. We have looked at the go Pro but the only one with the viewer is very expensive. I know there a lot of action cameras out there now, not sure if we need to go this route or not.

I hope I'm being clear, haven't had my coffee yet! Would appreciate any feedback. Thank you so much!

What makes the quality of an SLR better is two-fold-- bigger better sensor, and potentially better lenses.

A camera like the TG-4 has a tiny sensor, just like a smart phone. Most p&s cameras are similar,

There are enthusiast compacts that now use a 1" sensor -- still smaller than a dslr, but 4 times the size of a typical p&s. And these enthusiast compacts typically have very good lenses.

The original 1" camera, first version of the Sony rx100, can be found for about $400, but lacks a viewfinder.

You may also find some older mirrorless models in the $300-$400 range, and they have even larger sensors. (some use the exact same sensors found in dslrs)

I recommended the TG-4 based on she wants to play in water with it, the Sony is way better for pictures for sure size is great something you can use year round not only for vacation

John

Once the camera is in that purse/tote.... does it need to share space with other stuff?

Some mirrorless or superzoom bridge cameras offer large sensors to achieve DSLR quality without the bulk.

I recommended the TG-4 based on she wants to play in water with it, the Sony is way better for pictures for sure size is great something you can use year round not only for vacation

John

ahh, missed the water proof part.

• 3 weeks later...

Have to totally agree with wmjivey on this: the Olympus TG-4 is a great little camera if you don't want a larger interchangeable DSLR or mirrorless camera.

It's not just waterproof... it can take really cool underwater movies too if you go snorkelling, for example.