At sea weddings

I got married at sea in 2012 when there were only a few lines that would do it. I see that the restrictions have been loosened and that more lines are doing it now. Just wondering what lines/ ships/ itineraries at sea brides are on? I may have misinformed someone who wanted to get married on a transatlantic on RCI that he would be unable to do it on a sea day :eek:

RCI does at sea weddings. I am doing mine with them next spring. You just have to ask for the Bahamian Maritime License. Since the company is out of the Bahamas, the captain and certain crew members are authorized by the Bahamian government to perform marriages in international waters.

My daughter got married at sea on Princess. When she returned and tried to change her name on her license, was told not valid. I did some searching and found NY residents who married outside US or US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico were not legally married according to NY. They ended up getting "remarried" by mayor on the way to work Guess NY just wants some $$$

• 1 month later...
My daughter got married at sea on Princess. When she returned and tried to change her name on her license, was told not valid. I did some searching and found NY residents who married outside US or US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico were not legally married according to NY. They ended up getting "remarried" by mayor on the way to work Guess NY just wants some $$$

Do you mind if you share the sources of that information you found? It has me concerned :)

We're NY residents getting married at sea in the Bahamas in three weeks, I went though a LOT of paperwork getting copies notarized, certified, and Apostilled, and the county clerk's office assured me this was the path to go to ensure the Bahamas marriage certificate was binding here. If you're aware of something different, I'd love to know :/ The only hiccup I'm aware of at the moment is that it supposedly takes 8 - 12 weeks to get the certified marriage certificate after the wedding which is what NY would want to see before allowing the name change, so I'm expecting a delay but that's about it.

-Keith

Edited by Heronymous

Actually, I think I see what happened here. If she attempted to change her name right after she returned, she must have been using the symbolic / keepsake marriage certificate they provided at the time of the ceremony, that is a symbolic keepsake and not a legal document and yes, DMV won't accept that. It takes about 12 weeks to receive the official certified marriage certificate, that copy once received should be accepted by the DMV.

-Keith

Actually, I think I see what happened here. If she attempted to change her name right after she returned, she must have been using the symbolic / keepsake marriage certificate they provided at the time of the ceremony, that is a symbolic keepsake and not a legal document and yes, DMV won't accept that. It takes about 12 weeks to receive the official certified marriage certificate, that copy once received should be accepted by the DMV.

-Keith

It was after she received the official marriage license. I could not believe they were correct,so contacted Attorney General was informed that it was true despite reassurances from the wedding planner/cruise line. Have since heard from others that had the same issues. This was about 10 years ago so things may have changed as it is becoming more popular.

You may want to contact Attorney General office just to be sure

• 2 weeks later...