Marseille/Barcelona - Mediterranean Medley

Anyone advise on how easy the trip into Marseille is from the port at the moment.I read there was a port shuttle that would drop you near the Old Town - is this information still current.

Also in Barcelona is it easy enough to walk to the World Trade Centre to pick up the Buses/Metro or to take a stroll to town.

Any words of wisdom appreciated - Thanks for Reading.

Anyone advise on how easy the trip into Marseille is from the port at the moment.I read there was a port shuttle that would drop you near the Old Town - is this information still current.

Also in Barcelona is it easy enough to walk to the World Trade Centre to pick up the Buses/Metro or to take a stroll to town.

Any words of wisdom appreciated - Thanks for Reading.

Hi, just returned from this itinerary yesterday

with Marseille, they had a port shuttle laid on, you book a time for departure and the return is open ended.

Barcelona - you walk off the ship and the HoHo buses are about 100 metres away, you are only a stroll away from Les Rambles

Hi, just returned from this itinerary yesterday

with Marseille, they had a port shuttle laid on, you book a time for departure and the return is open ended.

Barcelona - you walk off the ship and the HoHo buses are about 100 metres away, you are only a stroll away from Les Rambles

We too are on this itinerary soon. We don't normally do excursions. In Calvi,Corsica can you walk into town,and/or the beach.

Livorno,Italy,Anything within walking distance ?

Thanks Tony, That's good to hear.

Happy to walk when in Port wherever possible, and I think DIY trips look no problem from most Ports on this trip other than Livorno, where I'm tending towards the Thomson Coach

that just drops you in Florence for 7hrs.

Thanks again.

We too are on this itinerary soon. We don't normally do excursions. In Calvi,Corsica can you walk into town,and/or the beach.

Livorno,Italy,Anything within walking distance ?

Calvi you can walk into town.

Livorno port provides a shuttle service (small cost) that takes you to the town centre/tourist office. Very good indoor/outdoor market close by. At the tourist office you can book a trip along the Livorno canals which is a very good 50 minute trip; when you buy your tickets you are given a time to meet at the tourist info office and then they walk you down to the jetty. Much cheaper to do the canal tour this way than with the Thomson excursion. We have stayed in Livorno the last 2 times we have docked there and always find plenty to see - plus the local vino just has to be sampled lol!

Edited by campolady

Happy to walk when in Port wherever possible, and I think DIY trips look no problem from most Ports on this trip other than Livorno, where I'm tending towards the Thomson Coach

Thanks again.

We did the "7hrs" Florence trip and felt a little short changed if I'm honest.

we departed for Florence at about 9.10 and arrived at 10.40, there is a fairly lengthy walk from where the coach drops you to where the guide takes you to the "meeting point", we were then informed that we had to be back at this point at 1.05 which left us about 2 and a bit hours to see Florence.

I'm not the most agile person with a few walking difficulties so it was really difficult to try and see everything, it also left no time to sit and have a bit of lunch or a coffee, we actually only managed to have a quick ice cream before ploughing on.

From memory, I think there was little difference in price between the 9 hour and 7 hour trips, if you want to spend a bit of time there, I would recommend the 9 hour trip, I know that it's a long day, but you can chill when you get back on board.

We did the first Med Medley itinerary this year and can second the recommendation for the Livorno canal - I think the first one is 11:00am, that's the one we did. No need to take the Thomson overpriced deal.

The shuttle bus will drop you in the square close to the Bank of Italy, the tourist office is in the nearby block, go there and purchase tickets. The guide picks up his clients there and walks the party over to the sightseeing launch, about 10 minutes away.

There was a small (but adequate) toilet onboard, handy to know.

Marseille was nothing to write home about - easily the most disappointing HoHo bus tour we've taken anywhere, the city just does not lend itself to such. The shuttle bus managed to drop us off at the wrong location for the return pickup - I assume the ship's excursion staff have sorted that out to prevent a repeat performance.

Calvi is lovely, really nice walkabout port. It is a garrison town for the Legion Etranger, but we only saw one of their jeep type vehicles up near the restricted area.

Barcelona - shuttle bus for a couple of Euro drops you off at the bottom of the Ramblas, return bus stop nearby. Excellent Metro system in the city if you want to get around - watch out for pickpockets in Barcelona.

One thing to remember - there is no duty free alcohol shop during this cruise so it's good to buy your favourite tipple for your cabin in Palma.

There is a huge Carrefour about a 10-15 minute stroll from the ship............walk out of the port area, across the main drag dual carriageway and turn left, walking away from Palma. Around a bend is a big shopping mall with the supermarket in the basement............large and low priced range of drinks.

Don't buy it at the port "duty free" shop - it ain't duty free and it is overpriced.

we had ours at 5.30pm, late arrivals were due in one of the lounges at 10.00 I think.

Our flight lands at Palma at 12:50. Suppose once we get sorted onboard we could still have time to wander ashore but be back for muster.Pity the muster wasn't a bit later then we'd have more time. Having said that this is our first time on Majesty so we could spend the time getting to know the ship and a bit sunbathing on deck instead of going ashore.

Edited by UK Cruiser2

Our flight lands at Palma at 12:50. Suppose once we get sorted onboard we could still have time to wander ashore but be back for muster.Pity the muster wasn't a bit later then we'd have more time. Having said that this is our first time on Majesty so we could spend the time getting to know the ship and a bit sunbathing on deck instead of going ashore.

It's a fair(ish) hike from the port area into Palma, although there are taxis from the terminal if you want to get into the city, the Plaza Espana is as central as anywhere.

I suspect when you get onboard, having completed the arrival administrative procedures and settle you won't have all that much free time until safety drill comes around.

It's a fair(ish) hike from the port area into Palma, although there are taxis from the terminal if you want to get into the city, the Plaza Espana is as central as anywhere.

I suspect when you get onboard, having completed the arrival administrative procedures and settle you won't have all that much free time until safety drill comes around.

Yeah,I'm thinking more of staying onboard and start making use of the drinks package :)

Easy on the sauce before the drill - the captain can have you thrown in irons to the brig if you are legless at the muster !!!

:D

Ha Ha,Point taken.I try not to have too many before muster but you know what its like your first day on board :D

Thanks again.

We did that when we were in Florence. It was a Sunday and the advice was not to trust the train an Sundays.

We had a great day. Despite it raining all day.

One thing to remember - there is no duty free alcohol shop during this cruise so it's good to buy your favourite tipple for your cabin in Palma.

There is a huge Carrefour about a 10-15 minute stroll from the ship............walk out of the port area, across the main drag dual carriageway and turn left, walking away from Palma. Around a bend is a big shopping mall with the supermarket in the basement............large and low priced range of drinks.

Don't buy it at the port "duty free" shop - it ain't duty free and it is overpriced.

Never done a cruise, are you allowed to take your own booze on, within reason obviously?

So from your above, we could drop our cases off on sail day, go back into Palma (how? easy to?), then buy some booze and bring it on board, and we won't get stopped or told we can't bring it on?

I'm just thinking of buying a bottle of spirits for the cabin, as we don't have the AI drinks package.

thanks

Never done a cruise, are you allowed to take your own booze on, within reason obviously?

So from your above, we could drop our cases off on sail day, go back into Palma (how? easy to?), then buy some booze and bring it on board, and we won't get stopped or told we can't bring it on?

I'm just thinking of buying a bottle of spirits for the cabin, as we don't have the AI drinks package.

thanks

Normally on Thomsons you can buy spirits (for your cabin) from the duty free shop once the ship is at sea and clear of territorial waters - for EU area sailings there must be at least one port of call outwith the EU for legal reasons.

That's why Gibraltar is a very common PoC for all cruise lines, there are a few other alternatives in the western Med - like Tangier, or the remaining Spanish possessions still left in North Africa.

Med Medley itinerary is entirely within EU member states - so no duty free alcohol sales onboard. :(

Depending when you arrive at the ship and complete the boarding procedures you should have ample time to walk off and find the Carrefour supermarket as mentioned above, it has a huge low priced selection of booze.

Mind and be back for the safety drill muster.

You can buy "Coca Cola" etc. on board for mixers, around £1.80 per 330ml can - we invariable buy a couple of medium size bottle of "Schweppes Indian Tonic Water" ashore for G&Ts as it can be hard to find in may ports.

We also buy a lemon to add to our cocktail !!!

Carrefour is a 20 minute leisurely stroll, up and around a bend heading away from Palma, in the basement of a shopping mall - but remember and turn left once you cross the dual carriageway.

A pleasant walk, and there are a couple of bars if you feel the urge.

The security staff as you board the ship are usually very relaxed about taking a bottle onboard, unless you openly flaunt it - carry it in a small backpack.

Your cabin steward will supply ice in your stateroom on request.

The remaining ice melts overnight and you have a lovely cool supply for a refreshing glass of water when you waken.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Never tried that always just want to get our cases, don't like Palma airport, I have done as W CM suggested and also purchased from the ' duty free' it is cheaper, shop in the port.

No not in Palma, in our departure airport, in UK. It would be duty free then? Could you not buy there, collect cases in Palma, put the booze in cases before get on coach, and then all ok?

Edited by MrLoLoLo