Blue Mt Coffee? ? ?

I've seen that name mentioned here. And heard it mentioned it a couple of times on TV. What is the big deal with this coffee?

I don't drink coffee, but my husband is addicted to the stuff, as to HAVE it.

Is it expensive? It would be a nice gift to bring home to him (the trip is a mother/daughter trip).

Jly

Yes it is expensive, last time I was in Jamaica it was about 17.00 a pound.

I personally, do not think it is that great very strong. In fact I still have some of that pound in my refrig. If you know someone that likes it you might as well bring it home. If you try and order it online it is about $ 35.00 a pound.

Just be careful where you get it from, I got some a few years ago and it was awful. You could tell it had been sitting around forever and it probably wasn't real Blue Mountain as it was a lot cheaper than some other places. If I was doing it again I would buy from one of the recommended shops.

Chris,

Yes, I would like to know your friends name. I will be going on the 12 of Nov, on the Enchantment. My DH is addicted to coffee. He is very particular about his coffee, he loves the expensive stuff, but that is for special occasions.

Thanks,

Jly

Blue Mountain would make a great gift for any coffee drinker, it is a very flavourful blend. I think I payed $20/lb when I was there last. I was in a local market in Vancouver the other day and they wanted $51/lb...yikes!!

A lot of coffee fans (me included) enjoy Blue Mountain coffee...it is one of the finest coffees in the world. As others have mentioned, watch out for the counterfeit stuff. Treat Blue Mountain coffee as you would Cuban cigars...buy at reputable places and you won't get ripped off.

Could you let me know also.I usually pick up a few pounds for gifts.

PTarbay@aol.com

Thank you

Patti

Look for the Burlap Bag that MUST SAY JABLUM - Jamaica Blue Mountain Growers Association.

If you are going to Ocho Rios - Sonji's Plaza or Taj Mahal has stores that sell it.

The real stuff has date stamps on the package - they are vacuum sealed and can be frozen for freshness. I still have atleast a pound left rom a friends trip.

Last time I was there it was about $16 so if the OP are talking $17-17.50 that sounds about a reasonable rise in price.

Get the beans and grind them yourself - they will stay fresher longer.

We serve it on very special occasions and then to only those friends who appreciate fine coffee. Goes great with Appletons 21 yr old Jamaica Rum and a fine Cigar after dinner.

• 2 months later...

For those who do love Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee (I know I do!) have you ever tried Cafe Britt? It is coffee from Costa Rica and you can order it directly from their website. If you order it in bulk, it only costs about $7.50/pound including shipping. I think it tastes just as good as the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. I've been ordering from them for a couple of years now and have never had a problem and I have great coffee every day! It's cheaper than buying Starbucks or the high-end coffees at the local Mall. Here is a link to their website...

http://www.cafebritt.com/index.cfm?chkd=yes

Blue Mountain coffee was going for $40/lb last month in Grand Cayman, which is what I can buy it for in Tampa, so we didn't get any. I bought a cup of it at a local coffee shop while there and it was so weak, it tasted like tea.

I like it a lot, it is good stuff, but really only going to make an impact on coffee drinkers who are Connoisseurs. My wife drinks extra cream and sugar, so she can't tell much difference. I drink it black, so I'm pretty particular.

I like it a lot' date=' it is good stuff, but really only going to make an impact on coffee drinkers who are Connoisseurs. My wife drinks extra cream and sugar, so she can't tell much difference. I drink it black, so I'm pretty particular.[/quote']

Not necessarily.... I'm no connoisseur; I'm a Folgers girl. And I use Sweet N Low and LOTS of creamer, but I tasted a huge difference between Jablum and Folgers! It's so much smoother! I didn't need near as much cream and enjoyed it so much more.

If there's anybody on this thread from Houston or between Houston and Galveston who is going to Jamaica and wouldn't mind picking some up for me, you'd be my friend forever!

I bought some in Jamaica when we were there last January (Jablum in burlap bag from a reputable store). I like my coffee strong, but had to try it after all the talk I've heard about it. I can't remember what I paid, but it was too much for a 1lb of coffee. It is a light roast coffee, and those of you who like starbucks, etc type probably will be disappointed. I would not buy it again, but am glad that I purchased 1 lb to say that I know what it is and how it tastes. On our last cruise I purchased coffee almost at each port (Cafe Britt, Jablum, Tres Generaciones). I got some peaberry coffee at the port in Limon from Tres Generaciones (DokaEstate.com) that is the best coffee I've ever had. I only bought 1 bag, and wish I had bought more. Everyone has there own particular tastes especially in coffee. To each his own!

Archived