Thomson cruise (Majesty) 1st timer (ever) questions

MrLoLoLo

Thinking of doing a cruise with family, around Med, just for 7 days as unsure on the whole thing tbh, few questions though for a 1st timer...it will be on west med in Thomson majesty sailing from Palma.

1) All tips etc included, don't think we'll get the drinks package as not worth it for what we'd have, so how much are drinks, soft, water etc? Budget for a family of 4? Do you get drinks included at meal times if haven't got the drinks package?

2) On a full board, what about in between meals, available free/cost snacks? Drinks? ice-cream?

3) the cabin will be an inside for all 4, 2 teenagers, I expect to be small, but is it ok? We'll be out and about, on trips anyway. TV? WiFi?

4) is there WiFi avaiable at all times? Is it free? If not, how much, is it per person, or family, or all will have a tablet and phone.

5) dress code, not bothered on black tie do's, won't go, but what about normal meal times? I'm on holiday to relax don't want to dress up if have to.

6) what is the Thomson majesty like, good standard? Any Problems?

7) entertainment, do you have to book the shows? Pay?

8) what plugs are in cabins and around ship, UK? Or need an adapter?

9) there's a few trips I would do a defo, Monaco being one, are the Thomson trips the best? Happy to pay, this one's £50/each. Another stop is Corsica, what to do here just a beach?

10) heard some bad reports on the state of the Majesty ship which we will chose for the West Med trip. Sounds like needs a refurb etc. I know cabins will be small, we'll hopefully only use for sleeping and getting ready, but with 2A and 2 teenagers, it might be very cramped in one inside cabin will it?

11) Having never been on a cruise, the kids especially, are nervous on the actual cruise/trip itself, and also what there is to do? Is there plenty to do, enough for them to go off themselves and try things? (although they'll stick to me I think)

12) Is a safe in every cabin? Ours would be an inside cabin, does it cost to use? Is it safe to use! as in when out on excursions etc?

13) Over and above a "normal" beach holiday we would need some extra smart/casual wear, and what about towels, or specifically anything else?

Any general tips, what to do/not to etc

Edited by MrLoLoLo

thanks can I duplicate post though?

Mods I have posted on above forum as well, if not allowed can you delete this one as above advice says might get better advice on Thomson forum

thanks

Edited by MrLoLoLo

thanks can I duplicate post though?

Mods I have posted on above forum as well, if not allowed can you delete this one as above advice says might get better advice on Thomson forum

thanks

You cannot delete a post...but you can duplicate, as long as it is "your" post.:)

1. No, at full price the drinks pkgs aren,t worth the money. Thomson often offer them at discounted price or even free to sell cruise tickets, but clearly not offered to you.

Bar and wine prices same as provincial pubs, and no service charge.

Yes, tips included - some of us put our hands in our pockets at the end of the cruise, but not at American levels and no big deal if you don,t.

2. Yes, buffet snacks pretty well all day. Ditto tea and coffee from drinks station or the makings are in your cabin. All included.

Other drinks and ice cream are payable.

3 and 4. Two very distinctly different cabin sizes, inside and inside-plus. Regular inside cabins are very very small, but I suspect that those for four are inside-plus. But will be a tight squeeze, and four sharing a bathroom is no fun.

Wifi on all ships is expensive and usually slow. Avoid it, use free wifi at cafes and bars ashore.

TV very limited and depends on ship,s location.

5. In the main dining room, DJ or dark suit on formal nights, other nights a collared shirt and long trousers. Anything goes in the buffet.

6. Thomson is a budget line, they keep their prices down by using second-hand ships. So don't expect glitz and toys, but no real problems.

7. Entertainment is surprisingly good, both the main shows and bar musicians. No booking or payment.

8. Don't recall the power sockets, we take a £10 worldwide adapted - Boots, Argos, etc - and it's worked for us on ships and in hotels everywhere. Useful to also to take a short 3 or 4-way lead to charge several tablets at once, there's no USB ports.

9. All cruise line excursions are overpriced, Thomson more reasonable than most but still expensive. Check the ports of call forums for DIY ideas using trains, buses etc

10 answered above

11 Boredom is Never a problem on a first cruise. And yours is only a week and is port-intensive. No worries.

12. Thomson charge about £14 for the use of in-cabin safe. They,re combination type, same as most ships and hotels. You set your own four number combination. Suggest you check first to see if it's been left open, or try a few simple ombinations like 1 2 3 4 . If you can!t open it, you just have to ask at reception and pay for it.

13. Pool towels available free of charge, and you can take them ashore for a beach day.

14. You didn't,t ask about food quality - pretty good in dining room, pretty basic in buffet.

Super friendly atmosphere on Majestic, same as all Thomson ships. You'll enjoy

JB :)

Edited by John Bull