AmaPrima Christmas Markets on the Rhine

anandaindonesia

I have two reviews posted on CC for this itinerary, most recently my cruise last year with AMA. Check it out for lots of details. Great itinerary and great cruise line. AMA makes it special:)

Could you please give the link yo your reviews? I cannot find it by myself using Tapatalk

Edited by anandaindonesia

Wondering if some experienced CCers have other tips please?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

What kind of tips are you looking for?

Check out the roll call thread for Christmas markets, read the Ports of Call threads and search this forum for Christmas markets and Rhine cruise threads. Lots of good info there.

Edited by caviargal

Tips? OK :D I haven't been on AMA but I have done a Christmas Markets cruise and I love to travel to Europe in Nov/Dec.

1. Check the weather and pack appropriately. It might be cold. It will likely be wet more than once. It's unlikely to be very snowy, but check the forecast right before you pack/leave. We traveled with my parents & in-laws - we had warned my MIL for ONE YEAR about what the temps would be, and she neither listened to us nor packed totally appropriately. I ended up giving her one of my merino tees to wear because all she packed was cotton.

2. Dress is very casual - dress up ONLY if you want to (and caviargal and I often do - it's just our style, as I've discovered over the years posting here:p) I brought a nice merino wool knee length dress on my river cruise - it was great for touring during the day and I could dress it up a little for dinner if I felt like it. But I'm a dress person. I was literally the only person on the boat wearing a dress/skirt one night though. That's ok. I was comfy and happy. But if you want to wear khakis and a sweater every day, you will look like everyone else. Wear comfortable shoes that you have broken in. Either waterproof or spray with waterproof spray before you travel. Lots of roads & sidewalks will be cobblestone and there could be other uneven surfaces. If you have any walking issues, you might want to bring a walking stick or monopod (my mom did, came in handy a couple of times for her)

3. If you plan to shop, save space in your bags, bring packing materials if you will buy delicate Christmas decorations or liquids in glass bottles.

4. You can bring wine/beer on the ship if you buy local varieties to try. No worries at all about that (possibly a corkage fee if you want to bring to dinner? Don't know about AMA for that - we bought lots of German beer but drank on deck or in our cabins)

5. Have fun!!

To add to Hoyaheel's excellent advice above, passengers did dress up for dinner at AMA's Chef's Table every time we have dined there. It is a special venue and evening. You will want to make a reservation soon after boarding.

Quite a few also dressed up on the evenings of the Captain's events. Dressing up on a river cruise means a bit of bling for the ladies (sparkly tops, sweaters, etc.) and long sleeve button downs for many of the men, as well as sport coats, which have been more prevalent on our cold weather cruises than other times of year.

As someone who loves dresses, I always pack at least one and dress it up or down as needed.

Thank you, Hoyaheel and thanks again Caviargal. Now that you mention about the wine/beer - which is free during lunch/dinner - do you think we can ask for non-alcoholic wine or non-alcoholic beer?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Cannot help with that as we drink the real stuff and never asked nor noticed.:)