NCL pricing questions...?

faithfulFrank

Hi everyone,

My wife and I decided that we wanted to try NCL for this years cruise, and started trying to book an NCL cruise yesterday. I have dealt with a few agents, and have one that we like. She told us that NCL does not discount, and that because of that, she can match any price we find online, etc, anywhere.

Well, it is a bit discouraging...yesterday NCL went nuts, repricing everything, prices going up A LOT, and they said it was all because of Wilma, "reshipping" people, etc,etc. Agents could not get through to them, etc.

The prices that we were given in the morning were out the window an hour later. Added to that, even though NCL has a no discount policy, there were some agents out there, as well as Sam's club cruise agents, that had prices lower then the standard NCL rates.

So really, NCL DOES discount some...?!?

I found it goofy that a hurricane in October could influance pricing on cruises four or five months later. I'm not cheap, but I like to feel like I got a good deal. I was so discouraged that I just walked away from it all. Hopefully the dust will clear soon, and we could get something booked.

Sorry for the rant...I'm just frustrated and will feel better once we get something booked. I'm hoping to book the Jewel anytime in Jan or Feb, (but not the Feb 5th cruise...Super bowl is 2/5 next year).

thanks, Frank D.

I booked my third cruise with NCL earlier this week. The NCL price was given and that is generally fixed, HOWEVER, my TA has discounted the price off his own back.

Granted its not a huge amount, but every little helps.

There are some TA's and online agencies who discount what NCL and other lines state as cruise price.

Your best bet would be to shop around, keeping in mind what the cruise line has stated as their price, nine times out of ten there are agencies who can and will beat that price.

Enjoy the Jewel, she is superb :)

If you checked, all the major cruise lines saw prices change yesterday, not just NCL. Why? Because cruisers were changing plans, some shifting their cruises back, some forward, and some to different itineraries, from western Caribbean cruises to eastern and southern Caribbean cruises.

Cruisers book cruises weeks to months in advance, and can change their plans up to the final payment day without penalties. What you saw yesterday was the result of your fellow cruisers changing their plans.

This year, the Jewel is doing both eastern and western Caribbean cruises from Miami. I wouldn't be surprised to see eastern Caribbean cruises prices rise, but at the same time see western Caribbean cruises prices fall.

Why are you?

My Transatlantic next September has dropped by £160 so far, not including the TA's own discount.

Definately shop around and once you find a good TA, stick with them cos they can sort good prices for future cruises for you too. Thats what I have done. :)

Wow, what a quick response! It's great to be a part of such an active and informative forum!

You all give good advice. I do like this one TA, but I also like having a good deal...I have to decide if I want to pay whatever the standard price is, and keep her, or go with another good TA who also does discount some.

Electron, I do not really understand what you are asking me, but I hope your info about the western Carribean prices perhaps falling proves true. We did a western Caribbean cruise last year, but this cruise on the Jewel goes to ports there we have not yet done. My wife and I really do not have a preference.

I plan on resuming my quest for booking a cruise Monday, since most of the TA's are closed on weekends. I do want to stick with one TA, but I want one who is friendly, knowledgeable, helpful AND who can give the best price at any given time. I know that prices do fluctuate, but I get discouraged when there is as much as $70 difference between TA's for the same cruise at the same time.

I know that $70 is not much money, and I am not cheap...I just like knowing that I got a good value for what I do spend. I'm happy to spend more for anything that proves to be a good value.

Thank you all for making me feel better. I'm hoping yeasterday was just a tempory reaction to Wilma, and that it is not too late to get a good deal on a cruise for Jan or Feb.

thanks again for all of your good advice!

Frank D.

Remember to make sure when comparing prices from TA to TA that they are all quoting prices with taxes, port charges, and insurance. What really confuses me is when some of the TA's fail to mention the taxes and port charges in their quotes... The ncl.com site is always my first stop since they list everything out in the prices. Then I call or check the other TAs out on line and figure out what they are quoting in their prices.

Good luck in your quest for a great deal...

:)

When I was on the NCL website yesterday, all it did was tell me to contact a TA...did not give any prices, etc, ........but I was told that yesterday was nutsy, and that NCL was not answering calls from TA's, and that they were "down" for awhile.

You are right about comparing apples to apples, the thing is that on many websites, they show you a price, but you have to go deeper through the process to find the "real" bottom line price. I know that for us, (upstate NY'ers) the port charges for this cruise is $140 and the taxes are $86.11.

You would think that you could just assume the first price you see would be the base price without port charges or taxes, or base price and port charges without the taxes, but when you go deeper into the process to see the real price, you fine that the first price they show is neither.

I'm also told that if you book and the price does go lower, they will refund you the difference, but you have to find the lower price yourself and let them know. They will do this up until the time you have to have the final payment.

I'll just feel better when we have something booked. Weather it is better to just book now, or "wait and watch", I don't know.

Thanks! Frank D.

When I was on the NCL website yesterday, all it did was tell me to contact a TA...did not give any prices, etc, ........but I was told that yesterday was nutsy, and that NCL was not answering calls from TA's, and that they were "down" for awhile.

You are right about comparing apples to apples, the thing is that on many websites, they show you a price, but you have to go deeper through the process to find the "real" bottom line price. I know that for us, (upstate NY'ers) the port charges for this cruise is $140 and the taxes are $86.11.

You would think that you could just assume the first price you see would be the base price without port charges or taxes, or base price and port charges without the taxes, but when you go deeper into the process to see the real price, you fine that the first price they show is neither.

I'm also told that if you book and the price does go lower, they will refund you the difference, but you have to find the lower price yourself and let them know. They will do this up until the time you have to have the final payment.

I'll just feel better when we have something booked. Weather it is better to just book now, or "wait and watch", I don't know.

Thanks! Frank D.

You would think that you could just assume the first price you see would be the base price without port charges or taxes, or base price and port charges without the taxes, but when you go deeper into the process to see the real price, you find that the first price they show is neither.

Thanks! Frank D.

I've been getting double posts all morning for some reason. Just wanted to comment that if you aren't that particular and can be flexible, I've always found luck booking a cruise AFTER its final payment is due. At that time, the cruise lines have a better idea of exactly how many rooms they now have to fill and sometimes the deals come out. Not guaranteed, if its a popular cruise and starts booking rapidly, prices can go up. But at this time they have cancellations etc., so most have rooms to fill and they always want to sail full and discounts sell cabins.

Just keep price checking around and if you're looking at Jan. and Feb. check 60 days beforehand and you might get lucky. Did this on several cruises because we could be really flexible on when and where we went. If you have a specific date sometimes it doesn't work out as well. Good luck.

I have been taking cruises for many years now and I go against the conventional wisdom in booking them. I have never booked a cruise more than 45 or so days from the sailing date and always get excellent pricing. I have heard a lot of people say that you have to book far in advance to get a good price but I have personally never found that to be true and just booked my ninth cruise. In fact I just booked the Sun for Dec. and got 1085 dollars for two including taxes and port charges for an outside guarantee which seems to be pretty good to me. I think the cruise lines encourage you to book way in advance and make you think you get a better deal that way but I dont think that that is necessarily true, at least in my experience. The way to get the best deal is to know what cruise you want and call all the big consolidators and play them off each other. Always works for me as when they bid against each other the price keeps going down. And also I never ever book through the internet--always talk to the people on the phone as the internet cannot give a discount like a person on the phone can i think.

Tips on booking a cruise:

Don't think that first price you see is the real price. The first price you see is low to get you interested. Port Charges, taxes, insurance and some application fees have to be added to the advertised price.

If you want a specific cabin book early. If you want a good price, book after the final payment is due. You may not get the cabin you want, but the price may be lower if the cruise is not selling out.

If you want a really good price, book at the last minute. You have to be very flexible to take advantage of this.

Happy Booking

And also I never ever book through the internet--always talk to the people on the phone as the internet cannot give a discount like a person on the phone can i think.

I agree - pick up that phone, and call each of the agencies who advertise "low prices". The phone call - one on one is the best way to get a lower internet deal.

Of course, all of the same precautions still stand. Be sure of the reputation of the firm. Make sure that all fees, taxes, and insurance are included on each and every quote.

Works for us - with airlines, car rentals, and cruises too!

Yes, I agree....as much as I like the 'net.....a purchase like that I would only do talking to a real person, preferably one I like, who could assist in buying transfers from airport to ship, hotels, (living outside of Buffalo, we prefer to arrive at least the day before, etc.

My schedule is easy to change, get time off from work, etc, so I like the idea of waiting until 60 days before crusing if that can get you a better deal. On the newer ships, I do not think there are many "bad" cabins....(perhaps next to the elevators), but how long are you really in the cabin??

thanks, Frank D.

I thought I had read before that TA's can discount, they just can't advertise discounted prices....... Maybe I'm wrong, it's a little early in the a.m. for me.

That is my understanding. TAs can discount but they can not advertise discount prices. They are free to give up as much of their money as they want.

Some of the other lines have banned discounts making the price the same everywhere. That is why you see things like gift cards, wine packages, free hotel as a bonus but the cruise price will not change.

I also heard that some online agencies or maybe local TA buy in bulk and are able to over better discounts than others. We recently booked with an online agency for the Sun in Feb. and are paying $1,960 for four. I priced with several other agencies and also Norwegian directly and the price varied up to $500.00 for the exact same cabin category which is a superior inside category II. It does pay to do your homework.

Wow....great deal cat55 !

Living outside Buffalo, I don't mind having the travel insurance thrown in if a discount can't be had.

In a few weeks, it will be less then 90 days from around the time we would want to go.....( from mid Jan to the end of Feb.) Hopefully deals may start to come up. I don't want to save a few dollars on the cruise only to find out that the airfare is now much higher because it is closer to the time we need to fly.

thanks, this is a great forum!

Frank D.

I've gotten so tired of checking every site, and our local TA, to get the best deal, because lately they all have the same price -- we just have a price in mind, and if we get that price when we book, then so be it. If it happens to go down, oh well -- at least we got the category/stateroom we wanted...

Frankly, I have gotten to the point that I don't have time to play the numbers game, and book directly with NCL. Maybe there are better deals out there, but if I'm happy with what I paid, then.....:rolleyes:

Went to our local "wholesale" club yesterday and noticed a "Members" price for 12/1/05 on the Dawn of $579.00. We're already booked on that cruise.

I had seen this thread and had made a reply earlier about deceiving prices, so when I got home, I thought I would do some net surfing.

Found the NCL price on NCL.com and went to the "wholesale" club's website to look at the cruise. You know what I found. The price of $579.00 only included the port charges and the fare, not the taxes and insurance and not to forget, the processing $19.00 fee. So when you added it up all the charges they were $19.00 more than NCL.com.

Always do your homework before you book a cruise.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Archived