NCL pricing questions...?

faithfulFrank

Dear Monty,

I did the same thing with checking the "wholesale club" websites. We have two in our area, and we belong to both of them. The big red one had just what you said, but the big blue one did not have any processing fee and was lower then the regular price. I also called them and spoke to a very nice and helpful agent. He also lived in Fort Lauderdale, and was able to share some local tips there if a person were going out from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

So far the best prices I was getting happened to be from the place that advertises here on this Cruise Critic website. We will see what Monday brings when these places reopen, but we may just wait until after the "final payment" day and see what comes up. My only concern doing that would be if the airfare increases more then any cruise deal savings.....but in the end, ya do the best you can, pay it, forget it and enjoy!

Frank D.

Being retired ,I have plenty of time to research prices and make calls. I still get my best price on the Internet. The agent we use has always been the cheapest. Believe me I will always book with the agent who gives us the best price and this agent has been the cheapest price for our last 12 cruises.

I used a TA for my first 6 cruises - all booked around 5-6 months in advance. I started cruising around 1991 though and the web was not very good (if it even existed then :) ). For this last cruise, I found this incredible airfare deal - 39.00 each way - THEN looked at a cruise. I found the best deal EVER on my cruise by booking 7 weeks in advance. I played around with a few cruises and dates for about 3 days. In that time my price price went up and down $20.00. I booked at it's lowest rate and I swear I am convinced that you get the best deals that way.

Right after I booked I found this site and have been cruise shopping online ever since. I recently found an 11 day NCL cruise to Hawaii for 499.00 for an inside for a Nov cruise!!! I can't take that one, but it has me totally convinced that booking later, rather than sooner is the way to go.

Unfortunately, if you a very specific cabin or port of call you want that will not necessarily work - but for someone like me who cannot pass on a deal, I can be totally flexible - as long as I can cruise!

Maybe the TA's on this board can help out a bit with the theory but I would guess that sailings that have less then capacity sailings can probably be booked the cheapest this way (since cruise lines rather fill the empty rooms then take the loss)

On the other hand crowded sailings that end up at or over capacity might be a better deal when booked early rather then last minute.

........ but it has me totally convinced that booking later, rather than sooner is the way to go.

Unfortunately, if you a very specific cabin or port of call you want that will not necessarily work - but for someone like me who cannot pass on a deal, I can be totally flexible - as long as I can cruise!

Historically I always did the same. I would add if you want a date or ship it has not worked as cruise fares have climbed over the past couple of years.

I am booked on the Dawn this Feb. I booked in on the Sun in August 2004:eek: I have checked the fare across the net weekly since then. Best price right now for same cabin class is almost $600 more.

Last year I waited until after final to book the Dawn in Feb. Same cabin class in June was $1000 less then December. In fact the cheapest outside GTD was more then a BA in June.

The other side if you can cruise on short notice great deals still pop up last minute. The challenge is matching last minute air if needed. The SUN cruises for $399 after the move to Houston are an example without Wilma.

The net book early if you want a particular cruise - continue to shop - don't hesitate to cancel and rebook.

Well, we are still in limbo. I am really leaning towards trying the Jewel anytime between 1/15 and March, but am willing to book on another cruise line if a good deal comes up.

I would also consider perhaps trying a 10 or 11 day cruise out of NYC if it was on a nice ship. We live outside of Buffalo, so it would still be about a 6 hour drive, but there are cheap airfares between Buffalo/Rochester and NYC.

BillP1- That is just what we would like to have, a good friendly TA that also can assure us of a good price. I wonder if there are TA's out there known for pre-booking blocks of NCL cabins, thus passing on lower prices.

I'm open for suggestions.....does this forum have the ability to have Private Messages? If so, if anyone does know of a TA that can give both good service AND good prices, I'd love to find out who they are......I like looking at Websites, but always prefer talking to a real person who can help with other things like hotels, transfers, etc.

We also have friends who cruise often, and their favorite TA's company just stopped booking ANY NCL cruises, so they too are looking for a good TA.

I have a lot to learn here about using this forum...I tried to do a signature, and an avatar would be nice, but I do not know how, and I see no forum topic thread for "posting problems and questions"......

Thank you all in advance for your kind help. Frank D.

P.S. I just previewed, and my signiture came up! nothing fancy yet, but it did show our last years cruise. I do not know why it took a day to work, but I guess I did that right.

Hope it's ok- I reposted this because it did not show the first time I posted it over an hour ago.- hope it does not show 2x now.....

Well, we are still in limbo. I am really leaning towards trying the Jewel anytime between 1/15 and March, but am willing to book on another cruise line if a good deal comes up.

I would also consider perhaps trying a 10 or 11 day cruise out of NYC if it was on a nice ship. We live outside of Buffalo, so it would still be about a 6 hour drive, but there are cheap airfares between Buffalo/Rochester and NYC.

BillP1- That is just what we would like to have, a good friendly TA that also can assure us of a good price. I wonder if there are TA's out there known for pre-booking blocks of NCL cabins, thus passing on lower prices.

I'm open for suggestions.....does this forum have the ability to have Private Messages? If so, if anyone does know of a TA that can give both good service AND good prices, I'd love to find out who they are......I like looking at Websites, but always prefer talking to a real person who can help with other things like hotels, transfers, etc.

We also have friends who cruise often, and their favorite TA's company just stopped booking ANY NCL cruises, so they too are looking for a good TA.

I have a lot to learn here about using this forum...I tried to do a signature, and an avatar would be nice, but I do not know how, and I see no forum topic thread for "posting problems and questions"......

Thank you all in advance for your kind help. Frank D.

P.S. I just previewed, and my signiture came up! nothing fancy yet, but it did show our last years cruise. I do not know why it took a day to work, but I guess I did that right.

Rhapsody of the Seas - 1/05

Hi Frank,

Sorry I can't help with the TA problem. I can direct you to the CC forum which answered a lot of my questions when I was trying to do the avatar and countdown clocks.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

and to test things out go here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=225

Archived