Capri and Pompeii

BajanFab

Hi i am new to Cruise Critic and seeking some advice. I am sailing on Harmony of the seas in August, with a stop in Naples. Ship docks at 7am and leaves at 8pm. I want to go to Capri and Pompeii on my own without a tour company. Is this doable and how can i achieve this. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hello,

We did this on our first Med Cruise in 2003. It's a full day but very doable. We got off the ship early and took a cab to the train station in Naples... we took the train to Pompeii and spent 2-3 hours there. It is wonderful first thing in the morning, not very many crowds. We then took the same train to Sorrento, had lunch there and then took the hydrofoil to Capri... we spent a couple of hours there and then took another boat back to Naples... it docks right by the cruise ships. I think our cruise left around 6:00 pm so you will have a couple of extra hours to work with.

Enjoy your trip!

You've got a nice, long day so it's no problem getting to both sites.

In August it's going to be hot at Pompei all day; given that I would go to Capri first and hit Pompei in the afternoon so you'll be closer to the ship as the day winds down.

The easiest way to do this is to get the first ferry crossing you can, which will be the 8:05 on SNAV arriving just before 9 AM.

At the other end of the day you'll want to be on the 6:23 PM express train from Pompei back to Naples (arrives at 6:47 PM).

With those as your bookends you can back into when you want to leave Capri, based on how much time you want at Pompei.

The train schedule from Sorrento to Pompei and from Pompei back to Naples is here: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavferro/Sorrento%20-%20Napoli_0.pdf

Edited by euro cruiser

There is a fixed fare of €11 from the port to the train station. To get this fare you must tell the driver you want it (la tariffa predeterminata) before the trip begins/before he engages the meter. There will be signage inside the cab that tells you about the fixed fares.