when to book shore excursions?

MayCruise06

MY husband and I are going on Carnival Valor 5/14/06. i was wondering when I needed to start booking shore excursions. I have been researching a lot, and waiting for my husband to let me know his opinion (he's overseas.) I do not want to miss out on some things, like the swim and snorkel with dolphin one. When should I book?

I also do a lot of research on excursions, and once I have decided what we want to do, I book it. A lot of the excursions fill up quickly, especially ones that include dolphins. If you are booking an independent excursion, I would do it when you decide on that excursion. If you are doing it through the ship, I would do it as soon as it becomes available. We have had ours booked for next April for 2 months! (Yes, I am anal.):D

You should be fine this far out. Very few people are like I am and book 7 months ahead!:D

I don't plan on booking any until I get on the ship. That's cuz I'm sailing during Hurricane season. What with Wilma seeming to have flooded Cozumel and done who knows what kind of damage to teh other ports, I don't think waiting to see if my itinirary is going to change was wrong.

Hi MayCruise, welcome!

I think the cruise you have booked is a western Caribbean loop. There will be lots of fun things to experience. I'm sure you will enjoy your trip. You will probably stop at a port or 2 that requires tendering to get to shore. If you purchase excursions thru the cruiseline, they will get you to shore ontime. If you decide to book your excursions on your own (seperate from the cruise line), be sure to allow sufficient time at the tendered ports. The folks who did purchase excursions thru the cruise will get preferred seating on the tenders. It may take an hour or more before "open tendering".

We always book our excursions after we board the ship, partly because we like the security of knowing that the ship will credit our account if the excursion happens to be canceled. We've never been unable to get the excursion we want. If you want to book earlier, you can book online with the cruiseline. I think they are available a couple months before your cruise. Its just my opinion, but I think a first-time cruiser has enough new things to learn and having the cruise line worry about getting you to the proper place at the proper time is just a good idea.

Hope you have a grand vacation!

using www.cozumelinsider.com read the differences between the dolphis excursions. Booking with them also saves almost 25.00pp compared to what the cruiselines want.

THis excursion does sellout quickly...especially when there are 8-10 ships in the port on any given day.

Carnival will let you look and book excursions 180 days before your cruise. When you book it online it will need to be paid for at the time of booking

Archived