St. John - Daysail or ferry and car rental?

jeffyd

We will be in St. Thomas on Wed. Dec. 21st from 10 AM to 8 PM. We want to spend the day snorkeling and beaching at as many of the beaches in St. John that we can. My questions are:

1. Would we better off doing a daysail or just taking the ferry, renting a car and epxloring the island oursleves?

2. At that time of year, anyone know what time it would start to get dark? (i.e. would we be able to snorkle and be on the beach until 6 or 7 PM?)

3. Given that we're not getting there until 10 AM and we have to get off the boat and get to Red Hook, do you think many day sails would do an 11 AM to 6 PM sail instead of their normal 9 AM to 4 PM sail? If so, any suggestions for ones to contact?

4. Given that we want to get around to several different beaches and snorkel spots, would we be better off taking a chartered power boat? If so, anyone have suggestions for names of those?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'll be sure to post a trip report once I return and share what our experience was and what I learned.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Well with the daysail the highlight is sailing, enjoying our beautiful waters, snorkeling. Taking the ferry and renting a car the highlight is seeing St. John (National Park - forest, sugar plantation ruins, beaches, hiking...). So the answer to that question depends on what you are looking for??

For sunset try http://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom_srss_calendar.asp and choose Virgin Islands from the city options.

If you are booking a private daysail (just for your group) than yes the captain might change the hours a bit for you. As for the power boats, yes they will get you where you are going faster than a sailboat. If you want to explore several beaches how about taking the ferry over to St. John and renting a dinghy and beach hopping. You can find some daysails at http://www.*****/stthomas/SandL/charters.php.

--Islander

We went out on daysail with Capt Joe on "treazzure" about a 60 foot sailing yacht. They were incrediably accommodating and like small groups and go off the beaten path.

I think Joe would pick you up whereever and be flexiable to yr needs.

the food is great and the boat is big above and below decks.

I gotta go but if you want more info about them you can post back later and I will answer.

there web site is at sailingvirginislands.com , I think or just google Treazzure.

Suk

Archived