Vancouver airport

drlynn

We will be flying into Vancouver from Japan on a Thursday morning at 11:25 am. Is there time to catch a flight home in the USA at 3:00? I'm not sure how long customs ect will take. Thinking we may stay at the hotel and fly home the next morning, but if 3.5 hours is doable we would be tempted to try it. Thanks for any information you may share.

Almost 4 hours? That's more than sufficient even for an international connecting flight.

Assuming you're a US citizen, processing you at YVR will be quick - you will have to go through US immigration and customs here, but unless your flight is delayed by three hours you shouldn't have an issue getting on your next one.

Here's a link to YVRs passenger guide page - select 'I am arriving from another country' and then your airline, 'I am departing for the USA' and the airline for that leg, and it will tell you exactly where you're going and what you're doing. And once you do land in the US, you'll be a Domestic flight so no paperwork, just grab bags and leave.

As long as your incoming flight is on time you will have oodles of time to make the connection. However, you will need to collect your luggage on arrival at YVR in the Canadian customs hall then proceed to the departures level, put your luggage on the USA conveyor belt, then proceed thru CBP and security clearance.

Hmm..... didn't YVR redo the airport so international passengers can walk from the international wing to the US wing without needing to exit customs?

Depends which airline - there's a short list of approved 'in-transit pre-clearance' airlines who do indeed get to skip the 'collect luggage and recheck it' steps for flights to the USA. It's all detailed on the passenger guide I linked to, which is why they ask which airline you are arriving on...