Holland America vs. Princess and RCI

cruzrmomma

I had narrowed my choices to Princess and RCI for a Caribbean cruise for a group of friends, but then I looked at the HAL itineraries, which are great!

I don't know much about HAL, except they may be a more quiet cruise. How are their daytime activities? They don't seen to have anything special, like princess has the movies, nice pools, etc. and RCI has all those activities on board, and spacious ships.

Any comparisons?

Have been on all three. Very general impressions follow here. RCI has all the cool activity factors, rock walls, ice rinks, now surfing pool, and aims towards the active families with teens kind of segment. Princess aims for a more elegantly casual market, perhaps the DINKS and empty nesters as well as families. HAL is more old-world, and more elegant and traditional. Lots of nautical history, smaller more intimate ship, more exotic itineraries, not as much in the way of kids programs. That said, you will find all ages and types on all ships, and the only difference is how the passengers see themselves as to which ship experience appeals to them.

Haven't been on princess or rci but have a number of friends who have. We've been once on Celebrity and 5 times now on HAL. HAL is definitely quieter and more laid back than RCI and much less likely to have a large number of kids esp if you avoid holiday periods and normal school breaks.

Friends who have done both Princess and HAL tell us that they are comparable in many ways but give the nod to HAL for quality of food and spaciousness of cabins esp cabin bathrooms.

If you're looking for late nite entertainment then HAL may not be the right fit, but if you want comfort, elegance and a less crowded ship along with fairly decent food then I'd give HAL a try. We go to relax and HAL fits us great.

While the RCI ships are larger than HAL they also pile 3000+ into them, whereas on the HAL S class ships (Veendam, Maasdam, Volendam, Zaandam) you'll only have about 1600.. a world of difference in our opinion.

Had to wait repeatedly to get on elevators on Celebrity, 80% of the time on HAL they're onlh half full.

There DOES tend to be an older clientele on HAL (less so on Zuiderdam and Oosterdam) but hey.. our favorite dinner partners so far have been a couple in their early 90s who were a hoot.. we're mid 50s

HAL does have 2 pools and activities during the day such as trivia and other games along with the dreaded art auctions.. but not the frenetic pace I imagine with RCI.. no miniature golf, rock climbing etc.. but in our opinion that's all the better as those things draw kids .. and when you spend all day at work dealing w/ convicts, who wants to spend vacation around a pint sized version.. *L* Give HAL a try.. unless you really are nite owls and want the more active trip that RCI would likely provide

Archived