Alaska, to do or not to do..

I have been debating an Alaskan cruise for next year, I want to do this for a few reasons.. 1) inexpensive cruise for us since we won't have airfare (leaves from our city) 2) helps cure the travel-cruise bug.

My problem, most of the itineraries I have seen have a stop in my hometown, and the other 2 stops is in a town where I used to go almost every 2nd week or had gone monthly. Not much of an exciting port stop for me. I have been up and down the outside passage more then 100 times by sea plane in my life, been up and down with our boat a few times too I am still amazed each time by the beautiful views we have to offer. Which is why I still want to go.

I know I will not be bored with the views when we are actually sailing but I am worried about the port stops. I guess I could get off and go home and get a home cooked meal from my mom and visit friends, but that is not a desire for me while I am cruising.

Basically my question is, what do they offer on the ship in terms of entertainment and activities during a port day. I remember when I was a little girl we used to go on the ships and be the entertainment (I tapped danced) and our dance school was about the only entertainment they offered, keep in mind that was many years ago so things may have changed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just a thought: Have you considered some of the cruises from Vancouver? I know you would have to drive up there and back BUT they stop at Alaska ports, and you would not be visiting Vancouver as a port of call.. HAL ships from there visit Glacier Bay (a must see) on roundtrip cruises from Vancouver which the others do not.. We did Vision from there on 2000 and Hubbard Glacier and Misty Fjords were great.. if you go from Seattle on NCl or HAL you can still visit Glacier Bay and the port call in Victoria really isn't that long???? I would NOT miss Alaska just bec. you may have to spend some time in Victoria.

They do have activities for folks onboard ship but most do get off in Alaska.. more so than in the Caribbean!

We have been to Alaska 6 times and going back with another CC group in 2007.. and have STILL not tired of the scenery and have not run out of activities on shore.. and have to come all the way from NC....:)

I wouldn't rule out looking at one-way cruises, either.... I understand that part of the reason you are looking at an Alaska cruise is because of the airfare savings. Alaska Airlines has their PFD specials going on right now. I just pulled up one day in June and found one way fares between Anchorage and Seattle starting at $150... Not too bad! ;)

We live in the Interior and are looking forward to our first Alaska cruise in June. We're doing a Southbound from Seward to Vancouver on Radiance and are really excited about it! An added bonus... to go on a cruise with about 5 hrs total flight time as oppossed to the about 20 hrs to get to FL and back!! :rolleyes:

Just a thought: Have you considered some of the cruises from Vancouver? I know you would have to drive up there and back BUT they stop at Alaska ports, and you would not be visiting Vancouver as a port of call.. HAL ships from there visit Glacier Bay (a must see) on roundtrip cruises from Vancouver which the others do not.. We did Vision from there on 2000 and Hubbard Glacier and Misty Fjords were great.. if you go from Seattle on NCl or HAL you can still visit Glacier Bay and the port call in Victoria really isn't that long???? I would NOT miss Alaska just bec. you may have to spend some time in Victoria.

They do have activities for folks onboard ship but most do get off in Alaska.. more so than in the Caribbean!

We have been to Alaska 6 times and going back with another CC group in 2007.. and have STILL not tired of the scenery and have not run out of activities on shore.. and have to come all the way from NC....:)

My home town in on Vancouver Island, not Vancouver ( i just lived there for a bit). I lived in Victoria for 3 years, spent 17 years in a small town on the north part of the island not too far from Campbell River and live in Prince Rupert.

So as long as there is exciting activities on the ship during port days I might consider it.

I have been debating an Alaskan cruise for next year, I want to do this for a few reasons.. 1) inexpensive cruise for us since we won't have airfare (leaves from our city) 2) helps cure the travel-cruise bug.

I know I will not be bored with the views when we are actually sailing but I am worried about the port stops. I guess I could get off and go home and get a home cooked meal from my mom and visit friends, but that is not a desire for me while I am cruising.

Any help would be appreciated.

You made me laugh with the home cooked meal.

Many people that cruise view the ship as the destination. If you go with that in mind, I think you will have a ball.

Research the ships that do Alaska.

The RCI ships that do it are quite gorgeous.

If you also research the port excursions, I think you might find a few things that you have never experienced before and might enjoy.

Just getting off the ship and walking around the towns is not really experiencing Alaska.

And if worse comes to worse, there is always good old mom to fall back on.:D

celtic

Did a cruise this summer with a pretour package ( happened to be Holland American even though I traveled on the Vision). Flew into Anchorage ,spent a few days in Denali and then picked up a ship in Seward. Disembarked in Vancouver. Great. Have found over the years that there are less organized activities on board on Port days then there used to be. But Alaska is wonderful. Would go again in a minute.

Archived