tampa wheelchair rental upcoming cruise

blue cruiser

hi any one know of company's in tampa area that hire out wheelchairs , either to ship or collect in city, as i asked cruise line and the company they recommended wanted over $400 for two week cruise, nothing special just a plain chair.

any help would be greatly appreciated

The cruise line just gave you a list of their "approved providers" -- those that can deliver to the ship (they have the approval/security clearance to do so). I'd do a yellow pages search and start calling. If you can pick it up on your own, you don't have to have to go with an approved provider -- you just bring the equipment on yourself. Part of the reason those places are so expensive is that they tack on a commission to the rental rate -- if you cut out the middle man, then the price will be lower. You do pay a premium for having the wc delivered to the ship. If you want to pick it up, then you can eliminate that charge.

Candy

Consider renting or purchasing at home and bringing it with you. It is easy to gate check, and allows you to use it at the airport too. This way you will also know how to use it and make sure that it is the right size and fit for the person. Remember there is no excess baggage charge for taking a wheelchair on the plane. Be sure to gate check it (not check it as baggage). You can purchase a decent light weight chair for around $400. Check out http://www.spinlife.com

Many times you can buy used WCs through the classified ads of your local paper. Use it when you need it, then resell it at the same price you paid. However, if you need it on a ship, chances are you'll find many more uses for it in everyday life.

I also let a very good friend borrow mine for a few weeks when she broke her foot. (I have a scooter now, but keep the WC for shore trips) Maybe you can do the same.

Yes, all my friends know I use scooters and wheelchairs. I will lend my wheelchair for a few weeks if someone needs it. Do buy a chair now in your town. Get an ultra lite or some such so that the wheelchair is not heavy to lift. Bring it on the cruise. You will find you will use it at some point when you least expect to and you will have it.

Archived