Serenade Of The Seas

alment

We will be going on a Southern Caribbean cruise on 17 Dec. We are looking at booking but would appreciate any thoughts anyone may have on the following:

1. We want a balcony room and they have "guaranteed" rooms (E3). I have been told that with this option we will only know the actual room number 10 days before sailing, is this correct and can we change the cabine number if we are not happy? I am concerned that we end up with a partially obstructed view cabin or a cabin way upfront where it may be moe wavy. Someone was saying that getting a handicap room or upgrade was very likeley, any thoughts?

2. If we choose a cabin with category E1, its is about $300 CAN more for two people. They have availability in the middle of the ship right next to the elevator bubble. Has anyone ever stayed in these cabins and would you recommend them? I know the balconies are bigger but not sure about the views.

3. Why is it that RCI have many rooms available when I call but these don't show up on their website?

4. Am I better off nooking directly with RCI or through a TA?

Thanks all, this is our first cruise and we would appreciate any advice.

Balcony Gty means that you will have a balcony but could be any where on the ship that was ot chosen by others. It can also mean a free upgrade. As for booking with RCI or a TA only you will know. What I would do for now is book with RCI then go looking on the web for deals. Some will offer wine or other bonuses. You can then switch your booking free of charge to the TA of your choice. But remember to check if they have Admin fees or cancellation fees in case something happens and you don't want them any more. Enjoy your first cruise.

come back and ask more questions.

On our first 2 cruises we booked guaranteed cabins and have been upgraded 1 level (not a big deal - one inside is much like another), and both cabins were pretty far forward, which wasn't a big deal to us. You could hear anchor chains, which wouldn't be an issue on Serenade, and winches, which might be an issue. There is also a little more movement up there. For the remainder of our cruises, though, we've booked specific cabins because we had 3 people, or wanted aft balconies.

I think the bottom line with booking a guarantee is to do it with the attitude that you get what you get; if you want to try to call them if you don't like your assigned cabin, you could, but don't be disappointed if you don't get an upgrade or get moved. You would probably want to guarantee at the lowest level you would be happy being assigned to.

We've always booked through a TA, gives us someone specific to talk to. Be aware that if you do book through a TA, they actually own the booking and if you do want to make a change to your reservation you'll have to do it through the TA, not by calling RCI.

We booked an E3 guarantee a month before our Alaska cruise on the Serenade in June. We ended up in a D1 aft...deck 7, center. We could not have chosen anything better. We knew what we had about a week after we booked. It is a gamble though...we really expected an obstructed view...and ended up with an AMAZING view.

We were in those cabins by the elevator bubble and they were great. I wish I could remember the number but I can't offhand. We would open our door and lisen to the music from the Centrum lounge below in the evenings. With the door closed you couldn't hear a thing from below. It was great and convienent location from either direction. We have waited before and gotten cabin assignments 10 days before. The upgrade of the room over the disco was certainly not a highlight. Have funthe ship is beautiful and you will enjoy her. Sue

Oh yeah...just noticed you had not booked yet. Since this is your first cruise, you could not have chosen a better ship to consider.(IMHO) We are getting on when you would be getting off. It will be our fifth time on the Serenade ... third time this year (unusual year for us). Go for it!!! The prices are very good for the week you are looking at. BTW, you asked TA or RCI...it really doesn't matter unless the TA offers a perk or you like someone to do the work for you. I find my cruise, but let my TA book it because I get my insurance paid for...he's also been great to work with when there are price reductions. As for the gurantee...we had originally booked an inside guarantee ( had to go cheap) for the Christmas cruise. They posted our cabin within 24 hours ... we booked back in July. Don't know if that is the norm or not.

Only thing I have to add is about getting an upgrade being "very likely": not. It's very hit or miss; you will most likely get a cabin in the category you book. You might get an upgrade as others have mehntioned (say from an E3 to an E1). The likelyhood of getting a significant upgrade are very minimal. RCI is in the habit of selling upgrades at the pier, so they don't just "give" too many of them away.

beachchick

Thanks all for your replies. I am still not sure if I want to go with the gty but am very much considering it:confused: . Anyways, has anyone ever stayed on one of the rooms around the bubble i.e. 7108 or other around bubble? Is this a good area or is it too noisy and level 7 has partilally obstructed view below due to the life boats below? Also, I guess in this area, you can only see the front or the back of the boat, depending on your cabin location around the bubble? Where is the best location?

Thanks again.

We are going on the same cruise. Since it appears to be fairly full, I wouldn't expect an upgrade. Also, the ship will be docked in a port from 7am to 530pm 6 of the 7 days. We decided not to get a balcony (have 4 yr old) but probably would not sit outside too much while in port anyway.

Good luck!

Archived