Chillin’ on the Ecstasy: 6/20/16 Nassau, Freeport, Pics, Food, Travelogue

CruzinScotty

Since the sun now rises on the starboard side, I was up a little earlier. I headed up to the jogging track for a walk and some pics arriving in Freeport.

Stormy skies and barges re-fueling:

24v6yqw.jpg

Freeport is definitely an industrial port:

2s6qcet.jpg

You can kind of make out the sign for the Grand Bahama Shipyard. This is where Carnival does dry-dock for most of its ships:

vqmbea.jpg

Please make a note of the seawall at the bottom of that picture; we’ll come back to it!

I remember coming to Freeport back when there was literally nothing at the pier. My how things have changed:

35i3fnn.jpg

We’re at the back of the ship and turning around:

2rp48ic.jpg

It’s time for breakfast; and the Reveal!

This morning we ate inside; we saw Jolanta, our assistant waiter. We saw her often at breakfast and lunch. We enjoyed talking with her. She’s working her way up; but sure has to put in a lot of hours right now.

I decided to try the buffet this morning:

219xro7.jpg

Remember, I mentioned the muffins changed; today they had Sticky Buns! Yum. And while it may look like chocolate chips in the muffin, they were actually toffee/mocha chips. Also good.

On the buffet, they also varied the menu ever so slightly. Today they had an egg burrito. It didn’t have fresh eggs in it; it was only OK. One morning they had a chicken burrito that looked a whole lot better, but it wasn’t there today.

OK

So it’s time for the Reveal!

If you are going to put a car on THIS ship - the Ecstasy, WHY on Earth would you put a Rolls Royce?

The answer is this baby:

j8h1e9.jpg

The hood ornament, or bonnet ornament as the British call it, on a Rolls Royce is called……..

Drum roll please……

It’s…..

It’s…..

It’s……

The Spirit of Ecstasy!!!!

How cool! Both that it was on the ship, and kudos to DW for being so smart!

With this information, is it possible the name “Ecstasy” helped with the theming of the ship? I wonder…..The Rolls has to be on the ship because of the hood ornament “Spirit of Ecstasy”. Surely Joe Farcas knew this because the car is there. That might have brought forth the City Boulevard theme on the Promenade as the setting for it. As we’ve seen in the carpeting and the multi-colored lights, the “city theme” is throughout the ship. Hmmmm, just something to ponder.

Soon, let’s talk about the Freeport dock area

We enjoyed cruising on the Ecstasy twice. Your review and pictures are fantastic! I'm looking forward to your "Reveal!" :D

I'm glad you are enjoying. Thanks for the nice comment on the pictures.

I can't tell by your response if you already knew the answer? :)

I saw your link in another thread recently about your "special room" on the Ecstasy.

Would you please share that link and explain a little about it and how it happened? I loved the pics and would love for everyone reading to see how nice it is up in the "suite" life!

Edited by CruzinScotty

I love the positive review of the Ecstasy. She was our first cruise in 2002 and we absolutely loved her. I don't get all the negative comments, I know she's not as big as other ships, but smaller means less people, so to me it kind of equals out. At the time we thought she was humongous and were so impressed when we first entered and got our first glimpse of the inside.

Hi - the last time I was in Freeport the port itself just had nothing to do (I think 3 years ago), is this a return trip for you to Freeport? Would you say the port itself has more going on than on your previous trips. From your photos it looks like it does. We sail August 14th on Valor and were not planning on doing anything in Freeport more than just staying on the ship and maybe walking around the port.

Thanks

I love the positive review of the Ecstasy. She was our first cruise in 2002 and we absolutely loved her. I don't get all the negative comments, I know she's not as big as other ships, but smaller means less people, so to me it kind of equals out. At the time we thought she was humongous and were so impressed when we first entered and got our first glimpse of the inside.

THANK YOU!

I'm so glad we had so many first time cruisers on our trip. I'm happy they weren't afraid to start with a small ship by today's standards. I saw many Scopolamine patches, which is good because there is more movement than on the larger ships. But, compared to the ships of the past, the movement really is much less.

So many people have to have the biggest and best of everything; but that doesn't have to be what cruising is about.

Hi - the last time I was in Freeport the port itself just had nothing to do (I think 3 years ago), is this a return trip for you to Freeport? Would you say the port itself has more going on than on your previous trips. From your photos it looks like it does. We sail August 14th on Valor and were not planning on doing anything in Freeport more than just staying on the ship and maybe walking around the port.

Thanks

Perfect timing. We did just what you plan, got off for a bit to look around and then enjoy the ship. Yes, more stores are there than 3 years ago.

My next set of postings should be up later today. It covers the dock area. After I post it, feel free to ask any more specific questions you might have.

CruisinScotty, I didn't solve the mystery of the "Walking People" but I did just call to inquire about the port embarkation process via taxi/shuttle/etc. It is still the same as it always has been: dropoff, luggage tent, shuttle to terminal. They provide a brochure giving all of the details perfectly here for anyone that needs it. All of that info still applies.

I tell ya, I love talking with the folks at the Port of Charleston...or anyone we've encountered during our trips to Charleston for that matter. They are just the sweetest most helpful people. No wonder it was voted #1. :)

CruisinScotty, I didn't solve the mystery of the "Walking People" but I did just call to inquire about the port embarkation process via taxi/shuttle/etc. It is still the same as it always has been: dropoff, luggage tent, shuttle to terminal. They provide a brochure giving all of the details perfectly here for anyone that needs it. All of that info still applies.

I tell ya, I love talking with the folks at the Port of Charleston...or anyone we've encountered during our trips to Charleston for that matter. They are just the sweetest most helpful people. No wonder it was voted #1. :)

Thanks for sharing the link.

The mystery of the "walking people" continues. LOL

And thanks for the shout out to the folks of Charleston. We are nice and we're proud of it. :)

Freeport really doesn’t get much love on CC. I think it even gets less than Nassau. :confused:

But, this “any day on a ship, in any port, is better than any day at work” guy says – it’s all what you make of it.

I mentioned earlier that I was here when there was nothing, I was also here last September on the Sunshine. They are working hard to update the port shopping area. I have a few comparison photos to show what’s been happening.

Here is Senior Frogs. Behind it is a row of new shopping huts that were built in September, but weren’t open.

jrs9ao.jpg

There’s a lot of grass behind Senior Frogs. I’m guessing they own the land, who know's if they plan on expanding in the future.

Here’s a set of before/after pics. Here is the port last September. Notice the building under construction and the one just getting starting with plywood:

8zfaix.jpg

And now:

2u9pqb7.jpg

The bright blue building is complete and the other is well on its way.

Also notice the container ship heading out to sea.

It looks like Sharkeez is having their Grand Opening:

2h2qxjl.jpg

They don’t have air-conditioning, so we didn’t stay long. LOL

Here’s a nice fountain in the middle of the older buildings:

2572kpy.jpg

The bow of the ship:

256bd77.jpg

This is from September:

2yxm1e8.jpg

A few posts ago, I said to remember the seawall – it’s done!

11rre9y.jpg

Last September, this sign was definitely on "island time" and needed some love:

1449rev.jpg

It got some!

zy8wmt.jpg

Here are some pictures from Freeport’s Straw Market:

ostjy0.jpg

2q8qzy1.jpg

rbgqxu.jpg

I wanted to mention just how personable and friendly the people of Freeport are. You don’t feel pressured and it’s a much more open and relaxed atmosphere.

It was VERY hot here as well. We were always ducking into shade and looking for air-conditioning.

Let me tell you about this place:

15ydc13.jpg

This is a joint store for Del Sol and Cariloha. The building doesn’t look big, but inside it was very nice and much larger than it appears. We’ve been looking at the Cariloha bamboo sheets for a while. We still haven’t bought any, but this store was very nice. In fact, to show that Freeport is making an effort to update things: the Cariloha part of the store alone was bigger than the entire store in St. Kitts. It seems they may have had lower prices, but I can’t say for sure.

I told you they are constantly cleaning the Ecstasy. That goes for the outside as well:

13yqu77.jpg

Soon we’re heading back on board; and it’s not even time for lunch yet………

Thanks for the Freeport photos! I like Nassau there is plenty to do very close to the ship or you can always run over to Atlantis, my issue with Freeport was it was an industrial port and there was nothing at the port, at least they have added something at the port now or are attempting to.

We were planning to carry on our luggage (sailing Thursday!) and have been following the dimensions on the Carnival website. However, I noticed on the link you posted, the luggage dimensions are different.

Are their luggage scanners smaller than those at other ports?

Are they sticklers about the carry on size?

Thanks for the Freeport photos! I like Nassau there is plenty to do very close to the ship or you can always run over to Atlantis, my issue with Freeport was it was an industrial port and there was nothing at the port, at least they have added something at the port now or are attempting to.

Yes, with the number of ships Carnival alone sends to Freeport, I think they finally realize the sizeable number of people that have already done excursions or just care to get off the ship for a bit and have something right at the dock.

Depending on your likes, in addition to Senor Frog is Fat Tuesday next door. And, there's a small local bar by the water in the old section. There are a lot of small huts to look thru. Most have the same things, but if you like to look it's nice. And this is where you get a chance to speak with the locals who are so friendly.

I wish there was a way to add a Amber Cove or Grand Turk Margarittaville pool in the area. That would be a great addition, if done right.

We were planning to carry on our luggage (sailing Thursday!) and have been following the dimensions on the Carnival website. However, I noticed on the link you posted, the luggage dimensions are different.

Thursday! How exciting. Have a great time!

Our security line was so fast I really don't remember it. But, I don't think it was any smaller than at other ports. I went back and enlarged my copy of the two photos of the "walking people" with luggage. It all looked to be about the normal roll on carry-on size I've seen at other ports.

The picture area is on the same level as check-in. We were there a few minutes. I don't recall seeing anyone being turned away because their luggage was too big.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Thursday! How exciting. Have a great time!

Our security line was so fast I really don't remember it. But, I don't think it was any smaller than at other ports. I went back and enlarged my copy of the two photos of the "walking people" with luggage. It all looked to be about the normal roll on carry-on size I've seen at other ports.

The picture area is on the same level as check-in. We were there a few minutes. I don't recall seeing anyone being turned away because their luggage was too small.

Fabulous! Thank you!

Maybe we need to figure out how to be those walking people. :-)

Fabulous! Thank you!

Maybe we need to figure out how to be those walking people. :-)

Yes, I want to be a walking person, too. ;) Next time, it's possible we might be dropped off and carry our own luggage on. I was looking forward to being dropped off at the small white tent to check in and then wait under white tent if too early, or just walk on in.

But, the other info posted earlier says that's not the answer.

I'm very curious.......

Wow, great catch! We were hoping that they'd discontinued the shuttles so we could carry on our spinners but I think these different specifications rule out our luggage anyway. I'd definitely call the port & ask before taking my luggage on a shuttle to the terminal.

I also found this document on the Port of Charleston website specifically regarding Carnival Ecstasy Jul - Dec 2016.

"Only carry-on luggage will be allowed on the shuttle buses. Carry-on luggage should be no larger than 22" x 14" x 9" (approximately). The luggage size limits are the same as for airline travel. Any luggage larger than the dimensions noted for carry-on luggage is considered to be check-through luggage and must be left at the Union Pier luggage collection site. If larger, oversized luggage is brought over to the Passenger Terminal Building, the cruise guest will be asked to take it back to the luggage collection tent site. Only smaller carry-on luggage will be screened at the Passenger Terminal Building."

I wanted to make sure you saw this because I'd hate for you to get to the terminal & have to go all the way back to the parking lot!

Edited by ourcruiseyears