Best Cruise

CPALong

When they cut the cruise to 10 days, the archipelago had to go as it took too much sailing time.
That's interesting, and I thought tigerrr's information was also incorrect when he stated that the ship was too big for the archipelago. Thanks for the clarification.

Donna

As you might imagine the Stockholm archipelago is subject to a number of environmental problems due to the shipping traffic. All of the ferry, cargo and cruise line traffic has to slow down considerably to cut down on the erosion of the islands. When you look at the ships and how slow they are going you will hardly see any wake at all, but there is still a great deal of hidden turbulence underwater and this takes its toll on the islands.

The slow speed is fine for me. Since the sun does not set until very late in the evening during the summer months, what can be finer than sipping a cocktail on deck as you gently float by the more than 24,000 islands in the area?

At 108,865 tons, the Grand Princess is indeed a big momma. Perhaps it is better for the environment if she just stays with the Nynashamn call :rolleyes:, but I don't think she is too large to navigate through the area. The larger ships that dock in Stockholm proper on a regular basis are:

Celebrity Constellation: 91,228 tons

RCI Jewel of the Seas: 90,090 tons.

There are more perhaps (Costa has a larger ship that calls here), but these are the lines I know of for sure off hand.

Skål

Al

That's interesting, and I thought tigerrr's information was also incorrect when he stated that the ship was too big for the archipelago. Thanks for the clarification.

Interesting, I just assumed that Star Princess was too big to be allowed through the archipelago, being 109,000 tonnes.

Coast Atlantica is only 86,000 tonnes, however Costa Magica is 105,000 tonnes similar to Star Princess, and if she can dock in central Stockholm, then it isn't the size, but a time issue.

Star Princess does have a larger beam 115', compared to Constellaiton 105', however Costa Magica is 124', so again not size.

Al, I agree with Donna and please don't stop from posting. I just disagreed on your point about Princess and the stockholm port problem. Hey, everyone has their own opinion but it's not going to stop me from posting if I don't like what I read. I value your opinions on other topics as well. Actually, I agree with your assesment of the Princess problem when it concerns Stockholm but I didn't want to discount using Princess based on this one port alone and also the price factor involved.

Archived