Sovereign 10/10/05 mini-review

srlucado

My wife and I had a wonderful cruise on the Sovereign.

Departure was smooth and easy; the RCI staff is friendly and efficient, especially considering they have to jam 2,600 people through one door in a relatively short amount of time.

We had an outside cabin on Deck 3--a little small, but comfortable for the two of us. Kenrick, our cabin steward, was absolutely terrific. The best I've had on any cruise ship.

Coco Cay was a very relaxing day at the beach--saw a big stingray, starfish, and (a few) small jellyfish. Food was very good, I thought, and there was certainly enough of it. Beaches were uncrowded; we dragged a couple of beach chairs into the shade and really relaxed.

Nassau was...Nassau. We didn't take an excursion, but walked around Bay Street. I almost bought my wife a lovely pair of emerald earrings at Colombian Emeralds. Now I wish I had! I did buy some cologne for us (Opium for her; Obsession for me) at better prices than on the ship.

One evening, my wife won $170 playing bingo, and gave me $20 to toss into slots; I got lucky and turned it into $100--and then we quit! We must have set some sort of record, both coming out ahead on gambling on a cruise ship. (So next time we'll get annihilated, I'm sure.)

Food in the dining room was very good; service a little hectic but overall fine. Windjammer was better than I expected. The pre-departure spread was very impressive; lots of choices, and very tasty.

The two shows with the singers & dancers were brisk and enjoyable, and a great opportunity to enjoy a couple of pina coladas. The singers and dancers really give their all; I couldn't believe how much energy they put into the show. (We didn't see the other entertainers.)

Return/disembarking was pretty easy, though it always seems slow. US Customs was a breeze.

All in all, a terrific time. The four days zoomed by. As usual, I wished I could've stayed longer.

We were on that sailing also. I went to the Mast Bar around 3ish but didn't see any CC people. Did you meet up with any others? We had a great time..had 2 teens w/ us who really enjoyed themselves. We rented at Atlantis and spent the day in Nassau there. It was wonderful, thinking of flying down to go there for a few days. CoCo cay was beautiful, we rented Hobie Cat and sailed over to NCL's private island. They were not there that day :) I must say it seems we lucked out with weather, it was perfect and I'm glad I'm not cruising now!

Unfortunately, I didn't meet any other Cruise Critic members. One of our table-mates at dinner said that she'd heard of the site, but didn't elaborate, so I don't think she was a regular member.

And I should've mentioned that the weather was great. A little warm and humid, but very calm seas and lots of sun!

Archived