Splendour of the Seas Mediterranean shore excursions

Going on Med cruise Splendour of the Seas Nov 5- we have booked our excursions, exclusive tours where available.

Did anyone have cancellations of those tours? Should we have alternate choices just in case?

Going to Barcelona, Marseille, Villefranche, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Naples..

Any suggestions for first timers? Do I have to chain myself to my camerasand purse in Barcelona? Am I okay on formal night in a long dress??

dancewithe

I was on the Splendour on the Sept 17th cruise. We did the Taste of Rome and Taste of Florence tours. They were OK but honestly I would have preferred the Florence on your own and Rome on your Own options. If you have a good map in hand it is very easy to get around on your own and see that which interests you most. I did not meet with anyone who did the exclusive tours however if you go to the ports of call section of this board under Europe you will find many posts from those who have set up their own excursions and their reviews. If you join the Meet and Mingle for your cruise, you will find some people who have reserved private excursions and are looking for more people to join the tour.

With respect to your purse, make sure that your wallet is not easily accessible otherwise I found no need to wear my money belt. I purchased a travel purse prior to the trip and any potential thieve would have had to open a clip and a zipper to get to my wallet. I found Barcelona fairly safe however we did run into gypsies in Rome who attempted to rob my husband's aunt. She was quick and managed to stop the child from taking her wallet.

Formal nights included long dresses and cocktail dresses so you will fit in with your long dress.

It is a beautiful cruise but a tiring one. There is so much to see !!

Thank you so much! I also purchased a security purse..it just sounded scary reading all the warnings!

We are going with a dance studio so there will be 100 of us..we already have 6 of us scheduled to go on each tour..We don't know what everyone else is doing yet...I think I read for the exclusive tours they need around 8 or so...

We were on this cruise last May. We did our own thing in most ports. The only RCCL-organized tour we did was in Marseilles and the coach they used was very old and hot (air conditioning wasn't working). In Naples we got a private tour (there were six of us) in the port to Herculaneum. In Cittavechia, we got the train to Rome and that was a much better option than taking the ship-organized tour (which two of our party did). It is a very tiring cruise though because every day but one is in a port. In Villefranche, we got the bus to Monaco and got a taxi back. Monaco was preparing for the Grand Prix racining competition the following weekend so it was neat to see all the preparations.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived