Norwegian Dawn, How obstructed is obstructed view?

jancl57

I am torn between an obstructed view on deck 8 of the Dawn or an inside mid ship cabin on deck 9. We are currently booked in category IB on deck 9, inside mid. Is it worth the $$$ to have an obstructed view? I know the obstruction is from the life boats. Is there any view at all? I should add that on all 4 of our previous cruises on other cruise lines, we have always had a balcony. But the cost on NCL has gone up quite a bit since we last sailed on the Dawn.

Thanks!

Edited by jancl57

I sailed on the Dawn in room 8082, and I loved it! It was a sideways obstructed oceanview, and the layout of the room made it feel much more spacious. As far as the view, our window was centered on the middle of the lifeboat, right where you would board the lifeboat, so it was cutout on both sides and you could see straight through. You did have to make sure the curtains were fully closed at night, or bright light would seep in, but it was well worth it in my opinion, and I would book that same room again if I were to revisit the Dawn.

From your signature, sailing the Dawn is 11 months away - I would wait till it get a little closer to sailing date / final payment cutoff before considering doing a switch. Prices might drop so much that you can rebook or get a free upgrade to OV, maybe something better than the obstructed one.

Obstructions varied depending on the exact stateroom chosen or if you go with GTY ones - here's one from the Jewel, it will give you an idea of what it's like looking straight out toward the horizon - it's not bad at all. Some are much worst & some are even better ... and, I don't recall which ship's Obstructed OV got the blackout/tinted window films applied so there was nothing to see or look at (with recent Dry Dock ... who knows, didn't read/see any posts about it)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/NCL-Jewel-Cabin.8096d.JPG

Here's the exterior from the GEM, you can see the oval shaped windows of some of the Obstructed OV cabins (a pair for each stateroom) while others have just one giant picture window - and, the lifeboats were released while in the port for drills, training & tendering, etc. so for a few hours only - your view can possibly be fully un-obstructed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2012-11-19%20NCL%20Gem%20-%209%20Day%20E.Carib%202012%20Ports%20%2B%2B/GEM-12-SDC10524.JPG

The GTY ones are usually the cheapest, sometimes - priced closely to the ones with a choice of stateroom. Take a look at the deckplan for #8 floor - most of them are close enough to midship. Sideways are better but there are only a handful of them & the smart travelers often choose them first, for good reasons.