Upsell question

Tammyd549

Does anyone know if NCL will let me buy an upgrade from guarantee inside to guarantee ocean view or balcony? 35 days till sailing. Seems like there are a TON of balconys left on my sailing, insides almost sold out though, prices on balconys have been dropping and insides have been going up.

Just wondering when a good time to call would be, based on this situation.

I booked directly with ncl.

Thanks

Yes...I know because I have. Call and attempt booking 4 weeks out, 3 weeks, 2 weeks, and a couple times week of. Honestly I think most people who call two weeks out seem to start having success.

You aren't trying to upgrade to a guarantee balcony either, just ask if possible to upgrade to a balcony.

I did an upgrade from an inside gty to a gty balcony but through my TA at about 40 days out. When prices dropped more, I upgraded for free to an MA mini-suite from the gty balcony, also through the TA. I would call NCL reservations or your TA first to see if there are any free upgrades before you go to upsell.

Just remember as has been mentioned here before upgrades and upsells are two different things, could actually be 3 things. If you pay to upgrade you can or will loose any OBC and any Free At Sea Booking perks you had and you get what ever is being offered when you upgrade so you need to be careful and weigh it out. It could work to your advantage if the deal is better for the upgraded cabin. If you upsell you keep those things you got when you booked. They could also upgrade you for free and I would imagine you keep any OBC and booking perks you had in that case.

From what I have read here upsells start about 30 days from sailing. I did my upsell 4 days before we sailed.

Just remember as has been mentioned here before upgrades and upsells are two different things, could actually be 3 things. If you pay to upgrade you can or will loose any OBC and any Free At Sea Booking perks you had and you get what ever is being offered when you upgrade so you need to be careful and weigh it out. It could work to your advantage if the deal is better for the upgraded cabin. If you upsell you keep those things you got when you booked. They could also upgrade you for free and I would imagine you keep any OBC and booking perks you had in that case.

From what I have read here upsells start about 30 days from sailing. I did my upsell 4 days before we sailed.

Maybe I got lucky, but I did not lose any of my free at sea perks when I paid to upgrade from inside GTY to balcony GTY, in fact, they let me choose an additional perk and I got additional OBC. When I upgraded for free, they were going to make me switch promotions but ended up letting me keep my original! It never hurts to ask, sometimes you get lucky!

Maybe I got lucky, but I did not lose any of my free at sea perks when I paid to upgrade from inside GTY to balcony GTY, in fact, they let me choose an additional perk and I got additional OBC. When I upgraded for free, they were going to make me switch promotions but ended up letting me keep my original! It never hurts to ask, sometimes you get lucky!

viva - did you book directly with NCL or a TA? Also, when did you call or make, the change? How many days before sailing? TIA (ps, I LOVE your reviews :))

That's why I said upgrading "could work to your advantage if the deal is better for the upgraded cabin" :) The way it had been working IIRC is that insides only got one booking perk but OV's' (I believe) and higher got 2. So rebooking would give you more perks. However the perks might have changed a little too since the original booking. If say they choose the dining package with 4 meals at original booking and the new booking perk was only 3 meals I believe they would loose the 4th meal. If no OBC was being offered currently I believe they would also loose that, if more was being offered they would get that.

When doing an upsell you keep your original booking perks but do not gain any extras. For example if you originally booked a balcony with 2 perks and upsell to a suite/Haven you do not get all the suite booking perks. You do get the other onboard perks like breakfast and lunch at Moderno, priority embarkation and disembarkation at the ports, and have the concierge and butler however.

Edited by jimsig

viva - did you book directly with NCL or a TA? Also, when did you call or make, the change? How many days before sailing? TIA (ps, I LOVE your reviews :))

Thank you! I did book with a TA. I booked in February for a June 5th cruise. The first paid change the inside to the balcony was done at the end of April. The next, the free upgrade from balcony to the mini-suite was first week of May. I then called upsell as I was hoping for a spa-mini. I called starting a month out and all they had was Haven forward facing PH for $1000 pp. 2 weeks out I called again and still Haven only but for $750 pp. I called one week out again and she said nothing available but to call back a few days before sail. I called Wednesday of that week and we got a spa-mini for $150 pp, cheaper than buying spa passes so we took it. My TA handled all the calls except those to upsell.