Why Princess?!

Ok I understand that tipping is a touchy subject.

Can anyone please tell me about the complementary dining options with Princess? What's great, what's not. Should we really splurge and get in oceanview/balcony or save our money to spend on board?

What excursions in Alaska are a no go with my husbands wheelchair?

Have a great day[emoji924][emoji4][emoji106]

Joy,

On the Princess Cruises site the excursions for Alaska are listed and the ones that are accessible have a wheelchair emblem by them. Alaska excursions are better than most because you will be traveling in the United States where there are ADA laws.

Joy,

On the Princess Cruises site the excursions for Alaska are listed and the ones that are accessible have a wheelchair emblem by them. Alaska excursions are better than most because you will be traveling in the United States where there are ADA laws.

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated!

Accessibility has been well covered, so I thought I would add a thought or two about the children's program. The kids' areas cannot be compared to Disney or even RCL, but on an Alaskan cruise, that shouldn't be a big deal. I know that I will get flamed for this, (but I just finished dinner and had some very nice wine, so my inhibitions are down:)), but to me, it appears that some cruise lines build children's areas that are designed for parents to ditch their kids for the day and never see them. Princess' children's areas are not really designed that way. On a port intensive Alaskan cruise where one of your non-port days is Glacier Bay, you aren't likely to want to stash your daughter away all day and instead will want her with you much of the time. For the times when she want some time with other children, the Princess children's areas are perfectly adequate for that. But don't expect a science lab, or a staff that is going to hand out costumes so that the kids can put on a performance of Beauty and the Beast. It won't be nearly that immersive. On an Alaskan cruise (in June, July or early August), there will be plenty of kids, and the best part of the kid's clubs is simply the chance to hang out with other kids, Often times, the parents get too caught up in the need for "structured fun" when in reality, kids have plenty of fun just being with other kids. If you were looking at a two week cruise with 6 sea days during the school year, I might balk at what Princess offers kids. But on an Alaskan cruise, I wouldn't hesitate. Happy shopping.

Edited by JimmyVWine

I can't speak to wheelchair accessibility, but I can tell you Princess is just as good as HAL and NCL when it comes to accommodations. I spoke with someone in their special needs department when we sailed with my son who uses cochlear implants and they were great. They told me everything they could provide (including things I never would have thought to ask for) and provided just what he needed. He was hand searched vs metal detector, with No fuss at all. It was like the crew knew he was coming. I didn't have to ask each crew member we met. The other cruise lines provided this too, but Princess seemed really on top of it and made it easy

As for the children's programs my kids loved the kids club. They provided an Alaskan guide for the kids club on our glacier day. So the kids got to learn about glaciers from an expert while they had fun at camp and we got to enjoy the adult guide and scenery. Overall my kids have enjoyed all of the kids clubs (we've been on HAL, NCL, RCL, Princess, and Carnival) If they like activities and meeting other kids they'll enjoy it.

Overall my kids have enjoyed all of the kids clubs (we've been on HAL, NCL, RCL, Princess, and Carnival) If they like activities and meeting other kids they'll enjoy it.

That great to know. I wasn't sure if the other cruise lines had good kids clubs as well.