Prroblem with RCL website

I was speaking w/ my TA yesterday and she told me that RCI was closed, so no maintenance or support on website. DCL, on the other hand, was open and answering phones a few hours to the north so they were up and running, but the lines in S. Florida were off-line.

I'd wager it has something to do with the Royal Caribbean origin website being down. One way to look is that when you go to http://www.rccl.com, it normally should redirect you to http://www.royalcaribbean.com, but it doesn't, and appears to be down hard. It appears the origin server is in South FL (Miami).

I'd go further out on a limb and assume that since a company called Akamai caches/serves out http://www.royalcaribbean.com through content caching and hosting strategies, it's why you get the "we're sorry" page, and the link to the standby.royalcaribbean.com - at a minimum to ensure something is up in the case of a disaster. In working on websites using Akamai before, when the Akamai servers can't contact the origin (RCCL) servers, you can't serve a thing if it's not cached, and much of RCCL's content is dynamic (e.g., tailored to the individual).

All that aside, since there's a big push to things like the Sail and Sign card, reserving online, and eDocs, I'd say that this is a HUGE business case for RCCL to look at a full Disaster Recovery site to ensure their website doesn't have a single point of failure at the origin end.

Plenty of other companies use Akamai - like Yahoo and CNN - they don't have a problem staying up.

All that aside, my best wishes to all of the IT folks, their families, and the rest of the RCCL employees and residents of South Florida who were impacted by Wilma.

-Steve

Celebrity is down as well. I hope my reservation on hold is OK...I need to pay for it soon....

Kinda rediculous not to have backup servers somewhere. Silly decision on RC's part IMO. Hopefully things will be back to normal in FL soon.

Clearly, there are backup servers somewhere - you're able to get the important information. You can't browse anything, or make reservations through their site, but the backup is providing the critical information to guests who are travelling in the next few days.

You can also do online booking and check prices through other travel sites - so there are clearly backups for reservations as well - just not through their website.

Archived