Marina di Carrara

Never been Linda but I believe there is a good beach very near the port. You can see it from the ship. (Saw a photo taken from the ship on IE group ages ago.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Never been Linda but I believe there is a good beach very near the port. You can see it from the ship. (Saw a photo taken from the ship on IE group ages ago.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just been looking on street view. Looks a bit industrial! But there is a long beach, so perhaps a nice walk along there and drinkie or two :)

Linda,

We were at MDC a few weeks back...didn,t get off and saw the beach from a distance.Very hot and where we docked a fair walk to even the port gates

There was a shuttle bus which takes you to the centre of the town but doesn,t drop off at port gates or beach

Went there in 2004 from our holiday resort down the coast - a very industrialised dock area if memory serves.

I can't think there is much there to attract cruising tourists except the famous local marble.

Didn't clock a beach, but we weren't looking for one, so that means nothing.

'Er indoors was on the hunt for something made of this marble - expected there would be a bunch of retail outlets, not so.

After seeking help from the natives we took a bus to the edge of town and walked up a hilly road until we found a workshop which also sold to the public.

Decent prices for very attractive items, mostly far too heavy to take home, however we did get a nice rotating cheeseboard with knife.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone any ideas about this?

I know Brenda told me something about it ages ago, just wondering if anyone else had been?

We were on Mediterranean Secrets cruise earlier this month and were in Marina di Carrara. Had done Florence and Pisa a few times so looked at day trips from the port independently

Found a boat trip that took us from Marina di Carrara at 10.10 to Portovenere for an hour then on to Monterosso till 16.00 returning to Marina di Carrara for 17.30.

Made our way from the ship to the Club Nautico in the harbour and bought the tickets which were €30 each. Ferry arrived on time and set off for Portovenere.

There was an English commentary on the ferry about all the places passed en route to Portovenere. Arrived at 11.00 and departed at 12.00, then it was on to Monterosso, passing the small towns that make up the Cinqe Terre.

Arrived in Monterosso just after 13.00, departing at 16.00. It's the same ferry all day so no worrying if it will turn up on time.

Most enjoyable day out, better than sitting on a bus for 3 hours, scenery amazing and arrived back on ship at 17.30.

It is a longish walk from the ship to the end of the harbour but note the if I remember right the shuttle takes you to the main town of Carrera. I walked and made the mistake of turning right at the main road. Nothing there of note :( the beach is to the left and a lot of it seems to be divided into commercial operations with their own umbrellas etc. I don't know if you can walk along the waters edge.

It is a longish walk from the ship to the end of the harbour but note the if I remember right the shuttle takes you to the main town of Carrera. I walked and made the mistake of turning right at the main road. Nothing there of note :( the beach is to the left and a lot of it seems to be divided into commercial operations with their own umbrellas etc. I don't know if you can walk along the waters edge.
Yes according to the Cruise News, the shuttle bus is FREE :eek: and takes you to the town Dave.