Adventures on the High Seas, Aurora and Marbellina explore the Med

marbellina

Thursday – sea day

A still and hot day saw the decks fill up rapidly, after deciding to skip our usual organised activities we agreed to spend the morning on a lounger reading, we felt like school kids skiving. Mr M struggled to remain in one place and wandered off to the talk mid morning titled English, Its More Than Words, looking at the history and idiosyncrasies of the English language. We had a late lunch in The Glass House sharing three beautifully arranged small plates and a pudding with a large glass of wine, the place was very quiet, as it seems to be most of the time. I can’t understand why it’s not more popular, that being said today is the first day we have visited it. The afternoon passed in a blur of painting then playing cards with a mocktail on the back decks. We ate at second sitting today, I had the tomato panacotta, it didn’t quite work, a little too large and loose, needed a spoon to eat it. Mr M started with the anti-pasta which looked at tasted fab, he followed this with three perfectly cooked lamb chops and I had the chicken coated in parmesan crumb, the plate had a definite Mediterranean look about it, yum. I finished with the chocolate and grand Marnier tart, I asked for a small portion so was able to devour the entire scrumptious offering.

We watched Mel Mellers the comedy magician in the Curzon, his routine is based around pulling apart audience members with regards to their clothing etc combined with a few illusions. He gets audience members up on stage for further humiliation, we all laugh at their expense.

Friday – Gibraltar

We had picked up Ventura yesterday afternoon en-route and watched them in the distance. They arrived very shortly after us and departed just before us. We made the obligatory dash for goodies from the shops, had the cheapest coffee in recent history and returned to the ship for the great British sailaway. It was a lovely sunny and not too hot afternoon, the ents team danced their legs off, we waved flags and joined in with the singing from a safe distance at the Pennant bar. Oh dear, there is to be an exhibition of our watercolour paintings, Mr M is quite thrilled with his efforts and looking forward to tweaking his chosen creations, I feel like running for the hills, there are no hills to be found. We were alone for dinner at second sitting as the rest of the table had gone to various other restaurants, we enjoyed our sea view with Serrano ham, poached pear and gorgonzola, followed by duck leg with noodles, all very delicious. The Curzon was packed in anticipation of the headliners New Romantics show. I’m afraid a busy day, food and wine got the better of me and much to the chagrin of Mr M I had several long blinks, he reported the show was excellent and the rapturous applause of the audience confirmed this.

Saturday – sea day

We woke to full cloud cover and a brisk cool breeze preventing outdoor lounging. The cover was over the middle pool and was in good use. The day passed in a haze of choices of our usual activities, outdoor sitting replaced with walking the prom deck and reading in the crows nest. Mr M was alarmed to hear that I had paid for tea whilst reading, why hadn’t I just nipped down to the horizon or our cabin, really??? We followed and came along side Ventura throughout the day. Later on as the sun came out, the cool wind remaining hardy souls were seen baring their flesh, brrr, we managed half an hour fully clothed before getting ready for dinner. Black and white night and a Marco menu to look forward to. It was the same menu we had on Azura a few months ago, trio of smoked fish, chicken consomme, sorbet, beef wellie and baked Alaska, I took the lot but exchange the baked Alaska for chocolate sachertorte which was divine. We weren’t asked whether we would like, rare, med or well done beef as we were on Azura and ours came well done, I would have preferred medium. Chefs parade, with napkin waving from a few passengers and we received our menus, I save them all with copies of The Horizon from each cruise we have been on. We watched the second show of The Octaves in the Curzon, they have obviously spent a lot of money on choreography at the expense of clothes that fit. Their jackets were all ridiculously small, tight fitting and short, and trousers looked like they needed both washing and pressing. Signs afoot that we are leaving the ship, shower gel topped up, new shower curtain, our ports of call have been removed from the map in the Crows Nest.

Sunday – sea and final day.

We had breakfast in the main dining room after Mr M had completed his lapping of the prom deck listening to Sherlock Holmes on his device. I took the scrambled egg with smoked salmon which was a little salty for my taste and as its a Sunday a croissant. Weather precludes outdoor lounging again and the ship is moving a little. We could pack, but don’t. The art display was well attended and people were very kind.

Home now.

Apologies as I really have no recollection of our last evening meal, probably as we decided to consume the last of the wine box before dinner. We were allocated 10am departure and after a very relaxing morning with breakfast in the main restaurant we were allowed off at 9.15am.

We have enjoyed our food, in the majority of cases it has been delicious and easy choices for us. We particularly enjoyed the select dining venues and The Glass House wine pairing meal, all probably topped by eating breakfast on the open decks. The Glass House seems very much underused with Sindhu full most evenings and the Beach House busy, I can’t recall any special offers. I really can’t believe they don’t serve pizza anywhere other than tiny squares at late night buffet, no pasta to be seen (maybe on the nights we dined elsewhere), lasagne is almost our national dish, and they still offer coleslaw sandwiches at afternoon tea (no, no NO!) Thankfully there seemed to be more fish and I prefer my vegetables plated and appropriate for the meal, I can’t be doing with that pretentious faffing with the spoon and fork. I don’t know what has happened to their green bean crop as they were rarely on offer, fortunately asparagus was in abundance. We ate more lunches in the buffet than usual mainly due to the self imposed restrictions of our activities, and our preference for eating outdoors. I do find it a bit of a chore winding my way through the various options with a tray and despite being able to cook I often struggled to plate up a sensible offering for myself, but that’s my problem. I like that they serve tea and coffee at your table in the buffet at breakfast. I'm going to attempt to post the pics of the food we had at the Glass House wine pairing meal. Starter, tartare of cured Scandinavian salmon with poached quail egg. main, rosette of herb crusted beef fillet, cheese, dessert, assiette of pineapple with olive pistachio cake and elderflower ice cream. apologies in advance if I fail.

We only used the spa for a pedicure as their prices are inflated compared to the same treatments on land. On earlier trips we have indulged most days though have recently found the timings to be short and the hard sell afterwards verges on rude.

We enjoyed the evening entertainment, maybe we are easily pleased as our table companions didn’t. The waiters at dinner were of the usual efficient standard, wine service a little slow and completely forgotten on one occasion. I was amused by two tables for two sat behind us, they were no more than six inches apart and chatted loudly to each other throughout their meals, they got on so well they visited select venues together. We may try freedom dining next time to allow, well, more freedom with times and dining companions. Of the ports of call we are definitely going to re-vist Cavtat near Dubrovnik and Corfu, such delightful places.

We loved our cabin and made good use of the balcony. Plenty of wardrobe and drawer space though I would like a bar at the bottom of the wardrobe to keep shoes tidy, a muddled heap was generated throughout our stay. I took one of those little hand held battery fans that can be used on a table top which was most helpful when hot from the shower applying make-up. We greatly warmed to Aurora and wouldn’t hesitate sailing on her again which might be a while as we are planning a land based holiday next year.

Thanks for your positive comments on my holiday thoughts. Any questions please ask.

Thank you for a most interesting and beautifully described blog on your Aurora cruise. I have enjoyed reading of your adventures ashore and with lots of useful information for us lucky people on the same voyage in two weeks time. Have you recovered yet?

Thank you for a most interesting and beautifully described blog on your Aurora cruise. I have enjoyed reading of your adventures ashore and with lots of useful information for us lucky people on the same voyage in two weeks time. Have you recovered yet?

Glad you found it useful supered1. A week today we arrived home and now back at work, it feels like a distant memory, but I have my lovely pics and diary to bring it all back. You will have a truly marvelous holiday, enjoy.