Sailing out of San Francisco

Cruising P&J

About the only time the temperature is moderate in San Francisco is in October for some strange reason. Noticed the weather when the World Series was in San Fran in '89 and '01? (Wind was not even a factor at Candlestick back in '89.)

Native Californians just expect the city by the bay to be cold, damp, windy and chilly all other times of the year. And take heed of the oft quoted Mark Twain saying "The coldest winter I've ever spent in my life was an August day in San Francisco."

We live in SF and love the weather year round. Yes, April in SF can be a bit cold with the marine layers. But that's in the city. Out in the bay weather is gorgeous and temperature is mild. Don't think any cruiseship will stay docked at the city for too long.

If you are going on an Alaska cruise, the water from SF to Seattle/Vancouver can be a bit rough though.

I've sailed frequently on the bay and just outside the GG and can tell you that it's usually freezing out there. The city is of course chilly and damp but the bay even more so. I usually have to wear a ski parka under my foul weather gear. September through early November are the warmest days in SF and on the bay but you never know when you might get a stray nice day in the summer. I wouldn't have high hopes for April. If you're sailing south you won't have warm weather until you get to San Diego and further south.

You can expect a cold day or 2 on either end, with warm weather in the middle. Variety is nice tho, and it makes the hot tubs that much better!! Sailing under the Golden gate is a wonderful experience!

There are a couple of spots known to be rough---just outside SF and one farther south near LA, you will go through both on that intenerary, but when we went they were not that bad. Moderate seas, with the ship rocking a little bit, just enough to feel it for a few hours each time. The rest was pretty smooth. If you are very prone to motion sickness I'd try the carribean, its much tamer. The Pacific Ocean is known for swells, and my 2 cruises on it we definitely experienced them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tequila-

We are going on the Mex Riv 10 day out of SF on 12.10

I had debated on a S. Carib cruise vs the Mex Riv cruise for a while because of climate ....

Do you think that San Diego and points south we will have warm weather that time of the year?

How cold will it be between SF and SD?

Thanks for any advice :)

Archived