Warning: Tropical Storm Darby!

ssaito1

Aloha Katy,

Which side of the island are you on? I live right in Honolulu so we got hit hard. Never saw Kapiolani Blvd ever get flooded but it did last night. It was the most amazing (in every since of the word) weather I probably bore witness to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I live in Kunia. The times I checked the radar everywhere west of pearl harbor had spotty rain and occasional downpours but east of it was a big long band of nothing but heavy rain moving north all directly over that half of the island. So much rain! I found it interesting that even though the weather was caused by the huge storm system, the dry side still stayed drier!

~Katy

I live in Kunia. The times I checked the radar everywhere west of pearl harbor had spotty rain and occasional downpours but east of it was a big long band of nothing but heavy rain moving north all directly over that half of the island. So much rain! I found it interesting that even though the weather was caused by the huge storm system, the dry side still stayed drier!

~Katy

I heard y'all really did just miss the massive rain! Glad you stayed mostly dry during the storm.

Is it usual for storm at this time of year as we were in Maui and Oahu end of June beginning of July and want to return next year maybe in August?

Hurricane season in the Central Pacific runs from June 1-Nov 30. Do keep in mind that August and September would be the busiest months for a storm. HOWEVER, a system directly hitting Hawaii is extremely rare. We've only had five make landfall since Statehood. You have a far greater chance of dealing with a hurricane in Mexico, the Gulf states, or Florida and the Caribbean. Generally the storms go north or south of us and we just get rain out of them for a few days. Darby, the storm that we just had, was a rare and historic occurrence.

Overall, anytime is a good time to come to Hawaii ;) Let me know if you have any further questions! It looks like you had fun here if you want to come back so quickly :)

I just sent an email to our guide in Maui for the road to Hana tour we are scheduled to do in 2 weeks and he said the road is fine that he had to reschedule a couple of tours at the end of last week due to heavy rain but was actually doing a tour today and the road was fine.