Three Kings Day

tedjazz

We will be in San Juan on for Three Kings Day, (Jan 6th). Does anyone know what we can expect? I understand it is a big holiday for PR, very simlar to Christmas from what I've heard. Does anyone know what kinds of activities or celebrations we can expect? Does everything shut down for this holiday? Thanks for your help.

I'm a resident in Puerto Rico, Lived here for the past 20 years, yes it is a big day in Puerto Rico it is not just like christmas is part of our christmas all parks museums and mayority of stores are closed on that day, this is a day when children get their present and families are reunited with their children in P.R. Is our Heritage and culture even do we adopted Santa Claus in the past decades also.Our Christmas is the longest.

Best Regards

Andres

www.puertoricoexcursions.com

We've been in San Juan on Three King's day before, and it's a ball. Like a big street party in OSJ. The Christmas season doesn't really end until after Three King's Day. From our experience, there actually stores open in Old San Juan, as well as restaurants, because it's a heavy tourist area. It's a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to it. As I recall, you're on our sailing. Haven't seen you back on the roll call :(

Jodi

On Three Kings day there will be a major congestion in Old San Juan because on that day the Governor hosts a humongous party for all children in the island. They give away tons of gifts and have musical groups at La Fortaleza (the governor's palace).

We were there last year on the day before and saw the preparations going on. In front of El Morro Fort there were soldiers unloading truckloads of presents and setting up tents. People stand in super long lines for the giveaways.

The city will be beautifully decorated for the holydays and, at night, it's even prettier. We took lots of pictures. I love Old San Juan!

We plan to arrive on 1/6/06 (Three Kings Day) in 2006 for our 1/7/06 Serenade cruise. Should we expect to have trouble getting from the airport to Old San Juan due to the event? I can't decide if I think this news is a plus or a minus - I'm not sure yet what time we'll be arriving, but had planned on strolling around Old San Juan and seeing the forts and such that day. On the other hand, it sounds like the event would be quite something to see!

Carla

We're getting there on the 6th, too. Traffic going into San Juan, which is normally relatively heavy, will probably be heavier than usual, but I think it's a bonus that we'll be there on Three Kings Day. There'll be lots to look at while you're strolling the streets. I can't remember if the forts were open that day when we were there on Three Kings Day before. Come join us on the roll call for our sailing!

I think they were open, because they're part of the National Park Service, and while it's a huge holiday in Puerto Rico, it's not a Federal national holiday. Of course, I could be wrong... it could be that they were open, you could get in, but there were no organized tours.

Archived