Blue Lagoon - only through cruise ship?

Newdoc2002

We recently inquired directly through Blue Lagoon about the dolphin encounter with date we were arriving. Instead of immediately telling us availability, they asked what hotel we were staying. Only after we told them we were coming in on a cruise ship did they notify us that all the encounter tours were bought by the cruise line and we would have to book an excursion through the cruise.

My question is why did they have to ask us about hotel when supposedly all the encounters were already booked?

Is there a possibility that the cruise line has contracted with the operator to not sell excursions to cruise ship passengers outside of booking with the cruise line?

We recently inquired directly through Blue Lagoon about the dolphin encounter with date we were arriving. Instead of immediately telling us availability, they asked what hotel we were staying. Only after we told them we were coming in on a cruise ship did they notify us that all the encounter tours were bought by the cruise line and we would have to book an excursion through the cruise.

My question is why did they have to ask us about hotel when supposedly all the encounters were already booked?

Is there a possibility that the cruise line has contracted with the operator to not sell excursions to cruise ship passengers outside of booking with the cruise line?

Bingo... you are correct. BL cannot sell individual tours to most cruisers.

We booked directly through BL last year, and also was going to book for our upcoming August cruise, but because of the ferry times, we would have only gotten about two hours on the island so we decided not to. If they only allow you to book through the cruise line, then they literally just made this rule within the last few weeks, because I was in contact with them very recently, and they didn't say anything about having to book through the cruise line.

We booked directly through BL last year, and also was going to book for our upcoming August cruise, but because of the ferry times, we would have only gotten about two hours on the island so we decided not to. If they only allow you to book through the cruise line, then they literally just made this rule within the last few weeks, because I was in contact with them very recently, and they didn't say anything about having to book through the cruise line.

I think it depends on the cruise line and even the particular excursion. For example, if your cruise line sells the dolphin swim but not the encounter, you can book the encounter directly.

It's pretty standard for cruise line to make those contracts. We couldn't book the Segway tour directly and had to go through Carnival.