Pre-Paying Gratuities Results in Better Serivce Than Auto-Grats? Please Explain How

ShakyBeef

Isn't it kind of silly to be arguing about this? If the list is available AFTER the cruise maybe it's available so that the room steward is made aware they may not have serviced their guests as well as they had thought they did and it might just lead to future better service? Then again, it seems some remove the tips because they are just plain cheapskates so finding out after the fact really means squat, doesn't it?

^ This

Do you believe everything you hear? Makes no sense

Of course I don't. And I already said in several different ways that it makes no sense. In fact, that was my whole point: that this ridiculous claim makes no sense. But I do, in fact, believe the OP from the other thread (who has also posted in this thread) when she says that people had posted it / claimed it. In fact, at least one other poster here has said he has a friend that believes this. I was simply trying to get any of those who claim this to engage in a discussion about it. I was interested to hear what possible logic could be employed to support it. And failing that, to expose this stupid myth for what it is, so that those who might fall for it will instead stop and think and dismiss it.

Alas, I have said all this already. Maybe I shouldn't have wasted my time repeating myself here to you and instead asked you in response to your question: Do you understand anything that you read?

In another thread, the OP had been informed that pre-paying one's gratuities was recommended to get better service from one's Room Steward.

"People were posting that the room steward has a list and can see whose pre-paid and they seem to get better service?"

My question, to those that feel that pre-paying grats results in better service, is: Why would a steward possibly be motivated to give better service to a guest whom he knows (based on the existence of the notorious "List") has already paid his tip, than to the guest whom he knows has just left auto-grats in place? Please explain the logic behind this claim. :confused: It just sounds so Bizarro-World illogical to me that I can't wrap my head around it.

This is not meant to be a pre-pay vs. auto-grat debate. I understand and embrace the fact that we all have different opinions, priorities, and ways of looking at and doing things. I'm not trying to argue against your way of tipping or win you over to mine. I'm not looking to read, yet again, all the reasons why people do it one way or the other.

I just want to know, from those that believe it to be true, what makes you think that pre-paying results in better service than auto-grats?

Thank You.

No it does not.