Cruising without a balcony...on the Destiny

jimbug

Hi all,

Travel companions consensus is that they want to do Southern route next time, and we're looking at the Destiny...

However, this trip would be what we call an "LBT" (or, limited budget trip haha). Of all the ships doing the Southern route, the Destiny is by FAR the cheapest. The problem--we've only had balconies before, and we cruise 3 ladies in 1 cabin. Are the Destiny's inside cabins the same size as standard outside or standard balcony cabins (i.e., same layout, just no window or balcony)? If inside is not same size, is the outside cabin same size as balcony cabin? Sorry if this post is a bit confusing...it's just that I can't imagine us fitting 3 into anything smaller than a traditional balcony cabin size.

How "bad" is the transition from balcony to none? Of course, any cruise is great...put me in crew quarters and I'll be happy. :-) But, for those of you who experienced this, what do you think?

Jimbug, when are you planning on going. I know of a group that is sailing the Destiny southern Caribbean route in September, and their prices are excellent. We were going to go, but it didn't work out for us time-wise. I was sooooooo looking forward to Aruba. If you are interested, email me and I can point you in the direction with the info.

The inside cabins on the Destiny are smaller than a balcony room. There are some Cat. 1A cabins in the front that are really outside cabins and are nearly as big as balcony rooms. The ones on the Riveria deck may work for you. I don't believe Carnival would restrict the number of passengers to just 2 for these cabins. Note, these cabins do not have bunk beds as in the pictures of the standard Cat 1A cabins. The beds are on the floor but the twins cannot be put together to make a king bed.

The outside cabins (Cat 6) are the same size as the balcony rooms.

A regular inside cabin can work for 3 if all you do is use the bathroom, get dressed and sleep in it. The storage is essentially the same as the outside cabins. If you do not plan to spend much time in the cabin anyway, a regular inside cabin will work. You can always get a guarantee inside category room, and maybe you will be upgraded to an outside.

patrickmoran,

Do you know which 1A cabins are the ones that are really 'outsides'? Thanks!

I think he means the 4 cabins forward on Main deck. They have portholes.

If you ladies really want a big room, and don't care if you have a window, try for 9102 on Verandah deck. Not that I've stayed there or anything, it just looks bigger in the brochure. ;) Yeah, that's it. Although it doesn't show it in the brochure, it does have a convertible couch.

Patrick, I don't believe your information is correct. The standard inside cabins on Destiny are the same size as the balcony cabins...185 sq. ft. The only difference is the balconies provide an add'l 35 sq. ft. But the "living" space in both cabins is the same.

Some of the Destiny class ships (Triumph being one, not absolutely sure about the Destiny) have oceanview cabins that are larger than their other standard oceanview cabins. These are 220 sq. ft. (they are the same size as a balcony cabin with the balcony square footage included).

The 1A's are 160 sq. ft.

Archived