Diamonds in Amsterdam

Has anyone bought diamonds in Amsterdam? Is the price reasonable? Are the jewelers trustworthy? Should I ask to have my Christmas gift delayed until we are there in June (maybe a combined Christmas, birthday, anniversary, Mother's Day Gift:rolleyes: ).

Thanks in advance for your help!

We looked at diamonds in Amsterdam and weren't all that impressed with the prices, but we have access to wholesale jewelry sellers at the Atlanta and Dallas market centers. If you know anyone with a resale tax ID number, you may find similar resources in your area. Now we constantly are sent to buy jewelry for others when we go because the pieces always appraise at 2-4 times what we paid at the market jewelers.

If you decide to shop for diamonds in Amsterdam, I highly recommend that you look at loose stones with some jewelers in your area before you go so that you can learn to use a loop and/or microscope to detect inclusions. Also, you'll need to learn about the color grades as in the difference between a D and a J. I think J is where the color starts to look yellow to the eye, but it can depend on how the stone is set. Also, the "sparkle" or the quality of the cut is subjective. Even if you're talking about buying set diamond pieces and not loose stones in Amsterdam, I recommend some education before you go.

Have a great trip,

Donna

P.S. This probably goes without saying, but as far as the reliability, I would suggest using a credit card and then getting an appraisal after you return. Hopefully you'll get some jeweler recommendations on the boards, but Frommers and Fodors should have some listed that have been checked out by the travel writers. If it works out for you, it would be a wonderful momento of your trip, so good luck.

I know Amsterdam (and also Antwerp, Belgium) have the reputation of Diamond City. However I am not familiar with the pricing whether it is good or not.

Maybe you can check these links, those are well known Diamondshops:

http://www.gassandiamonds.com/index_flash.html

http://www.costerdiamonds.com/

Also if you would fly out of Amsterdam it might be worth it to check the tax-free shops at the airport:

http://www.schiphol.nl/

I'm sorry my post wasn't clear--we looked in Amsterdam but did not buy because the prices were considerably higher than what we would pay wholesale here in the States. Please note that there is a wide range of quality in jewelry, there's a lot of mark-up in jewelry, and pricing is not a fine science. That's why even though I see some lovely designs in catalogs like Ross Simons (I have ordered other items from that company and think they are a good company overall), I can't judge the quality of an individual piece in a catalog, and I have my suspicions that the prices are not good for what you get. There's a wide range of quality with diamonds, pearls, emeralds, etc. After looking at a lot of stones, I nearly always determine the same color that's stated on the certification before I see the certification. I can also find the black and white specks and chart them before I look at a certification. But I've had a lot of practice, so that's why I recommended looking before you go. Please note that there are many different "certifications" for diamonds, and some are only as good as the paper they are on. There's also that "ah" factor that some stones have due to excellent cut, and that's what I chose for the main stone in my engagement ring. I've also seen very nice stones that are not certified, and I would buy them. If you are looking for earrings, most jewelers use stones that do not have clarity as good as a main stone for a ring, and I think that's okay because the inclusions are not visible on your ears (only a few people get that close!). Here's a site that can help educate you before you start looking: http://www.diamondgrading.com/5Cs_Clarity.htm. If you're just looking for something not expensive like a tennis bracelet with small stones, then you can just find one that looks good to your eye with no worries, and it will be worth it to you. If you're considering a major purchase, it's risky in my opinion, but I would recommend working with a jeweler who has a return policy of x number of days and then having an appraisal after you return home. If you are working with a reputable jeweler, they won't have a problem doing this (we just brought 3 pairs of earrings home from a July trip to Atlanta and sent 2 back after my friend picked the pair she wanted) because they are legitimate and can just sell the merchandise to someone else.

I hope you'll post your experience when you return. Are you going to Russia from Amsterdam? I think Celebrity sails a Baltics cruise from Amsterdam, so that's why I asked. Russian diamonds are popular, but we haven't had a chance to shop for diamonds there.

Donna

Your advise is very much appreciated. I have a little experience with diamonds, but not a lot. My husband is better looping than I am. I am into that "aha" factor also, so cut is very important to me and will do with a "not visible to the naked eye" inclusion to get the brilliance (so yes that means I stick to a round cut). I wasn't sure if by buying in Amsterdam I would save on the middleman prices since I don't have anyone to buy wholesale for me. Don't know about buying in Russia--may be more difficult to return if have a problem. Have read about people getting ripped off in the Carribbean, so I am a little nervous about buying away from home. I will also check out the airport when we arrive as to have some idea about the "duty free" diamonds.

We are doing the Century next summer-so have some time to beef up on diamond buying. Will give feedback when we return.

Again, thanks to everyone's for advise.

Happy Sailing.

Yes, I think I would be nervous about buying diamonds in Russia too. But it would have been fun for me to look. On the Constellation, there was a small assortment of Russian diamonds for sale. If you like jewelry, you should check out the Baltic amber too. I LOVE the pieces I bought. I just returned from the Baltics a month ago and will definitely do it again one day. It's a wonderful itinerary. Hopefully someone will weigh in soon with some suggestions for specific stores for you in Amsterdam. By the way, we loved Amsterdam too. You've probably read about all the "must sees" there or may have already been; my favorite memories are of the canal ride and the Anne Frank house, which is such a moving experience that it gives me chill bumps to think about. Have a great trip, and good luck with your diamond purchases.

:) Donna

Amsterdam is one of the worlds trading and cutting centers for Diamonds. It is not considered a cheap outlet mall for diamonds. Diamonds of high color and ideal cut will cost more.

I don't suggest anyone buy unless they have done their homework first. learn all you can about diamonds, do some shopping prior to your trip, have a good independent appraiser available near your home to evaluate your diamond upon return home. A true independent appraiser does not buy or sell diamonds or jewelry, they are more likely to be unbiased. The credit prefer an independnet appraiser in case you have a problem and are looking for a refund. Best of all, know your budget and stick to it. Buy the best Quality diamond that you can for your budget.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Thanks for all the help. Will definitely do my homework. Appraisal afterward a purchase I always do. So far I have been very lucky on my purchases. I was thinking that maybe there will be some interesting finds at a good price. Don't expect to get bargain basement prices, but would really like to get my money's worth.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

Gassan Diamonds (on all tourist maps) do a free tour and have a loo and complimentary refreshments - a nice way to spend an hour with no pressure selling. You do, however, have the chance to try on some gorgeous jewellery. There is also a delft chine showroom on the same site. icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived