Reids Madeira Afternoon Tea

Has anyone ever taken afternoon tea at Reids Palace Hotel in Madeira.

Either as an excursion or arranged yourselves

I am interested in your thoughts on the experience and if you enjoyed it and would recommend.

Thank you

We've done it a couple of times when we've been holidaying on the island. The first time we sat inside near the the pianist and really enjoyed it. The next time we sat outside on the balcony, which is supposedly the prime location, but for some reason I didn't enjoy it so much. I think it's worth doing once, though it's not cheap and you need to book.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it twice and loved it everytime. It is not cheap....but worth every penny. Both times, we sat on the balcony. The day was beautiful and the view from our chairs could not have been bought. The staff treats you so nicely, the food is nice, the tea is lovely and they don't rush you. Afterwards you can mosey around the place and look at all the beautiful furniture and arrangements.

A cab can take you there easily and Reid's will call you a taxi to go back to the ship. It takes only a few minutes. I would rather go myself than take a ship's tour...then you're not constrained to their timelines. Just my personal opinion.

I hope you do it. You won't regret it. I still might do it again if my ship takes me there!!

Yes, you do have to make a reservation in advance. Go to their website and do it there.