Getaway - A Few Specifics - please weigh in!

lynnc99

We cruised on the Getaway in 2014 and will return to do the Western Caribbean in October.

A couple of questions:

Has Fat Cats replaced the Grammy Experience? (Which, by the way, was one of my faves!)

Have you indulged in the Thermal Spa package? We don't plan a ton of excursions or a la carte dining, so thinking this may be a nice "splurge" for us but would love to hear from someone who's used it.

We are wondering about an excursion to the ruins - any opinions on which may be the best - or which you didn't really care for?

Looking forward to this cruise even more than we did our first on the Getaway!

My wife and have toured this ruin. Found the tour very interesting with masks and Temple.

Kohunlich Mayan Ruins

Costa Maya, Mexico

We are going to book:

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Deluxe

Costa Maya, Mexico

Not sure about the Ruins of Nim Li Punit in, Harvest Caye, Belize

Only reviews I was able to find were on Tripadvisor.com. The ruins sound small. May pass on this one since Your tour will include an approximate 30 minute boat transfer to the Belize mainland and the transfer to Nim Li Punit is approximately 1 hour from tour starting point.

I went on the GA with my parents and sister in January of this year. Around Christmas, I noticed a bunch of Spa Balconies were still unsold, so I called my TA and asked how much for an upgrade. It was less than $10 to upgrade BOTH balcony rooms. That was a no brainer.

So, I did the thermal spa for the first time ever on a cruise. I loved the hydro therapy pool and the jacuzzi. For the most part, the spa was quiet and far less crowded than the main pool, which is what we like. And, my sister and I have pale Irish skin that burns at the thought of going outside, so indoor water was awesome.

Would I do it again and pay full price for it? Maybe. I'm debating it for my cruise on Epic this winter. It really was a nice place to go after walking around in port all day.

I think the thermal suite is worth it for me. I like that it is less crowded and busy than the main pool. The loungers are comfortable to read (or nap), or you can choose a ceramic heated lounger. I enjoyed the therapy pool and hot tub a lot. My husband loved the steam room and sauna (too hot for me though). As a previous poster said, I enjoy being able to go in the water and not be outside, since I burn easily.

We didn't use the thermal pass as much as we'd thought (3 times the whole cruise). It's nice, but there's too much stuff to do on board at night. :-) And during the day, I wanted to be in the fresh air. But that's just me.

We really, really enjoyed touring Lamanai in Belize. Went with a privately booked excursion. A long day, but it was awesome. We were with a family and single guy who ran a lot of US Based groups through this cruise route. He said Lamanai was definitely his favorite and what he'd now recommend to people who were up for a full day boat ride and tour.

I went on the GA with my parents and sister in January of this year. Around Christmas, I noticed a bunch of Spa Balconies were still unsold, so I called my TA and asked how much for an upgrade. It was less than $10 to upgrade BOTH balcony rooms. That was a no brainer.

So, I did the thermal spa for the first time ever on a cruise. I loved the hydro therapy pool and the jacuzzi. For the most part, the spa was quiet and far less crowded than the main pool, which is what we like. And, my sister and I have pale Irish skin that burns at the thought of going outside, so indoor water was awesome.

Would I do it again and pay full price for it? Maybe. I'm debating it for my cruise on Epic this winter. It really was a nice place to go after walking around in port all day.

Oh man!!! That $10 upgrade is making me so jealous lol! I need to know how you managed to get such an awesome deal. How close to your sail date did you call your TA for the upgrade? What balcony level did you have prior to the upgrade? Any idea how full your cruise actually was?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums