Crown Question

stevel45

We are cruising on the Crown July 20th and do not know whether to drive

or fly. We live near Boston so the drive is about 4 hours. We could fly to

JFK for $99 r/t, or drive and park and stay at the Ramada (JFK) pre-cruise

and leave the car for up to 14 days for $199.

http://www.parksleepfly.com/index.php

I guess what I am asking is how would I get to the Red Hook terminal in

Brooklyn from JFK$

Thanks

Since July 20th (2006) is a Thursday, driving should be OK. Saturdays and Sundays are usually road repair work days in NYC.

To reach the Red Hook terminal from the JFK area, you need to get to the westbound BELT PARKWAY (from JFK itself, take the VAN WYCK EXPRESSWAY to the westbound BELT PARKWAY). Most of the JFK hotels are located on Conduit Blvd., which parallels the BELT. (The BELT takes a circuitous route through Brooklyn, but you won't get lost this way.) Take the westbound BELT until it ends at the GOWANUS EXPRESSWAY (an elevated roadway). Continue on the GOWANUS until it splits near the BROOKLYN-BATTERY TUNNEL (to Manhattan ... don't go this way); head towards the BROOKLYN-QUEENS EXPRESSWAY (the rightmost 2 lanes), and stay in the right lane. Just as the BQE dips into the trench, there is an exit to HAMILTON AVENUE and HICKS STREET. Take this exit, and continue straight on HAMILTON AVENUE, as far as you can go, to VAN BRUNT STREET. Turn LEFT at the traffic light, and continue about half a mile. The entrance to the terminal will be there somewhere. (It's not yet marked, so I can't be more specific right now!) From JFK, this route should take about 40-55 minutes midday on a business day. A taxi should cost about $40 or so. Parking at the terminal is an unknown right now.

What airport is closest to Red Hook? And any ideas on what hotels would be close by? Thanks in advance.

mollyanne

Mollyanne - I'm not an expert, but timewise I think it's a toss up between Newark and JFK..

Somebody from the area - correct me if I'm wrong...

Suncat

LaGuardia would be the closest, followed by JFK, then Newark. Newark will look closer than JFK on a map, but the roads just won't bear that one out.

There is a motel near the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn-Battery tunnel (less than half a mile ... can't recall the name, however); can't recommend it, either. There's a MARRIOTT in downtown Brooklyn ... about 2 miles from the RED HOOK terminal. It's not very large, and it's always packed; book well in advance. It's located in a great neighborhood, with lots of good restaurants within walking distance.

For the foreseeable future, don't expect much near the new terminal. It's going to take a while for that neighborhood to get up to speed.

Hi John....We'll be taking Amtrak to Penn Station in Manhattan and then a taxi to Red Hook. How long should it take us to get to the terminal on a Sunday afternoon?

Hoping Princess will offer a shuttle, but not holding my breath. ;)

There is a motel near the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn-Battery tunnel (less than half a mile ... can't recall the name, however); can't recommend it, either. There's a MARRIOTT in downtown Brooklyn ... about 2 miles from the RED HOOK terminal. It's not very large, and it's always packed; book well in advance. It's located in a great neighborhood, with lots of good restaurants within walking distance.

For the foreseeable future, don't expect much near the new terminal. It's going to take a while for that neighborhood to get up to speed.

Hi John....We'll be taking Amtrak to Penn Station in Manhattan and then a taxi to Red Hook. How long should it take us to get to the terminal on a Sunday afternoon?

Penn Station to Red Hook should take 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic. Figure about $20-25 for a taxi. Just beware of AMTRAK delays, which could make the trip an adventure!

Thanks, John....Wow, didn't think it would take that long. Thought I had read somewhere that Red Hook was about 7 miles away. Good to have a heads up. Haven't had an Amtrak delay to Penn Station yet (fingers crossed). ;)

Wow,

Penn Station to Red Hook should take 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic. Figure about $20-25 for a taxi. Just beware of AMTRAK delays, which could make the trip an adventure!

Thought I had read somewhere that Red Hook was about 7 miles away.

7 miles is about correct. Welcome to NYC traffic!

Hint ... of the top 500 tourist attractions in NYC, the ride to Brooklyn should take you past #501 (in my opinion). A taxi will usually take 12th Avenue south (sometimes 11th Avenue). At around 11th Street, on 12th Avenue, there's an arch marking the end of a pier ... well, what used to be a pier! The arch is the end of a former passenger terminal. VERY faded paint on the arch indicates that this pier once belonged to WHITE STAR LINES. This is something of a memorial to the spot where the TITANIC should have docked.

Thanks, John....Hi, Cindy...haven't been spending much time on these boards, much less on our roll call thread. Things may pick up now that our cruise is less than a year away. So looking forward to this "surprise birthday cruise" for DH. You cruise waaay more than us (once every 2 years or so). I think I will love sailing from NY, especially during hurricane season, as Red Hook's chance of closing, vs FLL or Miami, is almost nill. See you on the roll call. ;)

John thanks so much for the hint on "tourist attractions"! What a great inside piece of information and we will certainly look for the sign on our way to Red Hook in Sep '06:D .

Cindy

John:

Thanks for all the information! You are a great resource! Our group booked the Brooklyn Marriott for next July about 2 months ago. They advised it was good we were booking so far in advance.

The Brooklyn Marriott seems to be the best of both worlds - close to Manhattan and 2 miles from the Pier! Shhh, don't tell anyone else!

Suncat:D

marriott_brooklyn_s.jpg

Archived