Snorkeling Excursions

zdub86

So far I am looking into two different snorkeling excursions through Carnival. Both have very good reviews on carnival.com and just wondering if anybody here has done either of these in Grand Cayman...

"Barrier Reef Snorkel": $50 per person, 95% recommended out of 247 total reviews. You take a 30 minute boat ride out to the barrier reef and snorkel for about an hour.

"Cayman Shore Snorkel": $40 per person, 92% recommended out of 118 reviews. This one you just climb down a ladder at the end of a dock/pier and swim out. Snorkel for about an hour.

Any experiences with these excursions?

there is excellent shore snorkeling "free" just a short walk from the tender landings.

search here for EDEN ROCK or SUNSET HOUSE and there are other places too

at Eden or Sunset if you have your own stuff you can just jump in a go for it .... total freebie. At both places there are dive shops happy to give you the lay of the land, and rent you gear if you need it. Both places have web sites with maps and price lists.

I prefer Sunset .... it is a little longer of a walk but WAY LESS CROWDED because MOST folks will stop at the first place, EDEN.

AND SUNSET has the advantage of "My Bar" a secret hangout of its own .....

BUT, the snorkeling at both these places is 'big boy/girl pants" snorkeling. Water will be 30 foot deep or more except on top of the coral and standing on coral is a BIG NO NO. These places are NOT for beginners .... use of safety vests is highly recommended

Sunset House from the air .... note the "sea pool" at the top of the picture. A good starting place for beginners, this protected area is about 6-7 foot deep and there is a cut where you can snorkel out once comfortable ....

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

p.s. the "barrier reef" in Cayman, off 7 Mile beach anyway is about 1/2 mile off shore and the reef top is at 60 to 70 feet of water ...... just sayin .....

Edited by Capt_BJ

My guess is that the Cayman shore snorkel excursion goes to Eden Rock, which Capt BJ was describing. My sister went to Eden Rock the last time she was in GC, and there were folks there her ship who were on an excursion. The description of climbing down the ladder sounds like Eden Rock. You can easily walk there yourself, and renting snorkeling gear and a locker should be less than $40.

The barrier reef that is north of Grand Cayman has very nice snorkeling, and is very easy on a calm day. I haven't gone on that particular excursion though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...