Haines -What to do ?

Luvoceans

We have no idea of your interests or physical ability. Is there nothing appealing on the ships excursion list ??? Or is there an excursion you would like to replicate with an independent vendor?

Check the town web site for additional ideas.

A great option would be a flight over Glacier Bay with Paul from Mountain Flying Service. He is based in Haines but also does flights out of Skagway. Another choice of mine is to rent a car and just drive out of town for a few hours. There is only one road so no way to get lost.

I absolutely love Haines. We picked our itinerary next year specifically because Haines was included. In the past we have rented a car and driven a ways down the Yukon Highway there and also out to Chilkoot Lake. We have also done an evening wildlife excursion there and were blessed with amazing bear watching with a Mama brown bear and her cubs. You didn't mention when you would be there but your odds on this would be best later in the season when the salmon are running.

Haines offers a glimpse of authentic Alaska without the jewelry stores and tourist traps. Take some town to explore the town and chat with the people who live there. It is a slice of small town America and true Alaska. Be sure to spend a little money and support the locals. It is a truly remarkable little gem!

If you want a little preview enjoy this awesome video about Black Friday in Haines.

Actually I think they will be there very soon . I believe August 31 and this is the only port they do not have a planned excursion. They really are not big on renting a car. It is my parents and it is the first time to Alaska and the 50th Wedding Anniversary.

Edited by Luvoceans

I know it is past when they will be there but I was just there (8/24) and I chose the Steve Kroschel wildlife center. The tour only had about 16 of us so it wasn't overly crowded and we got to see and learn about many native Alaskan animals. Plus got to interact with many species. Fun, good photo ops and learned alot.