Trinadad and Tobago

qm2lover

It has been 9 years since I was fortunate enough to visit both T&T on a cruise. I found that the cab drivers in Tobago were great---we [4 of us] booked a cab for the afternoon and drove about the island. The driver, Ozie, took us to a restaurant where the locals eat and we had roti and a locally made root tea. Saw a lot of great sights. Very inexpensive. Also, my friends went diving there and loved that.

In Trinidad, we took a tour to the mountains and also the bay. It was beautiful. We stopped at a grocery store and bought local products to take home as well as walking through a cocoa plantation.

They are my favorite islands---wish the cruiselines would go there more!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and for the information.

Doesnt look like many people go to T&T.

Will probably do a ship tour in Trinidad and hopefully do as well as you and try to get a good taxi driver in tobago.

Many thanks.

Difficult to find much about these two islands, yes?

We travel there once a year on business for perhaps 1-4 days, sometimes more.

I encourage you to take a ships’ tour on Trinidad. It is intimidating for the first-time visitor and the taxis pull some startling stunts….Like pulling over miles from the pier and asking for more money or they’ll let you off there. Do the ships’ tour and see Asa Wright Nature Centre; Caroni Bird Sanctuary and don’t miss the Emperor Valley Zoo and Botanical Gardens. This is a must-see…..And don’t walk up to the alligators that are unfenced and pet them!

Tobago is different. It is relatively safe and the taxi drivers are normal. You can trust them (unless they’ve just emigrated from Trinidad).

Pigeon Point is beautiful, but it costs to enter. No beach vendors. They shoot them on sight.

We like Store Bay for lunch. You’ll find all the local dishes here: roti, palu, and crab and dumplings.

We think this is better than going to the Blue Crab. However, they make a cook-up (Ken and Allison) on Wednesdays with EVERYTHING in it. It is to die for.

So, what else can I help you with?

Thanks again Bardados for the information.

We have looked at our ship's shore excursions for Trinidad and cannot decide between the two most interesting.

There is a 3 hour tour to the Caroni Bird Sanctuary including a trip on a flat bottomed boat. We would not be able to be there in the early evening to see the ibis as the ship sails by 6 pm.

The other tour is for 6 hours to Asa Wright. So although more travelling, we would see more of the interior of the island including the mountains and the rainforest.

What do you suggest? We would like to do both!!! Unfortunately the other places you suggest are not on the shore excursions.

Has anyone else done either of these trips?

Please help us decide.

Many thanks.

We will be visiting Trinidad in early March on the Sea Princess. Since we avoid ship's tours (overpriced cattle cars) we search the internet. One site I found was http://www.trintours.com This looks like the same company many of the cruise lines use. Prices are less expensive for the same tour off the ship. We will likely be booking with them.

gm2lover .... We've only been to Trinadad (twice -- once, cruise stop ... and the other a business trip)!

Princess offered an excursion to MARACUS BEACH! Not a "cattle car" at all! Our transportation was in a taxi (for 4)! Below is a thread (someplace on this board) that you might enjoy reading:

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=198142

Have fun in Trinadad! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Thank your for your replies. It is all extremely helpful.

I have heard from others that on quite a number of occassions cruise ships have been unable to land or tender to Tobago because of the swell. Has any one here had that problem?

Anyone done the shore ex. to Caroni or Asa Wright on Trinidad?

Thanks again

Thank your for your replies. It is all extremely helpful.

I have heard from others that on quite a number of occassions cruise ships have been unable to land or tender to Tobago because of the swell. Has any one here had that problem?

Anyone done the shore ex. to Caroni or Asa Wright on Trinidad?

Thanks again

I do not know what the shore excursion to Caroni Swamp or Asa Wright entails but I have been to both and it depends on what you prefer. Both are nature/eco trips,if you are going for the Scarlet Ibis you will miss them as they return to the swamp late evening. The guides are very infornmative, if you are lucky you will see a manatee,you will see many different birds and snakes. The drive from the port to Caroni is about one hour long, on a highway.

Asa Wright is much further, about two hours drive on winding roads with spectacular scenery of mountains and ocean cliffs.It it pass Maracas Beach,Las Cuevas Beach and the Village of Blanchieusse, recently we have been getting alot of rain and there are some landslides along the way.Even more recently there were freak waves at Maracas Beach when hurricane Wilma affected the area. The beach was closed for a few weeks, but now they have re-opened.

Asa Wright is located in the rainforest,so if you are lucky you might see a baboon crossing the road. There is a main house at Asa Wright that serves lunch and refreshments and trails for birdwatching. You can stand on the verandah of the main house and see hummingbirds. Lots of bird watchers visit Asa Wright.

Both are very interesting tours,if you need more info do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you so much Syndyj and Ocruisers for your advise.

We would like to see both (actually we want to see everything, but know that is completely impossible)!!

I think it will have to be Asa Wright.

Thanks again for your help.

Qm2lover...

Just replied to you on the Pigeon Point thread. I think we may be on the same cruise - 13th January Arcadia.

We would also like to go to Asa Wright and I have sent e-mails to some independent companies and I am awaiting their replies. We prefer smaller tours if possible and try to avoid the ship's tours. Perhaps we should combine our information on all the islands? It is our first visit to all of them.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

Haven't read the other thread yet, but you are right we are on J601. There are four of us. My husband, daughter,25 and son 23 and me of course. We have been to the Caribbean before but only from Southampton so we have only been to a few ports previously. This site is really great for all the informatin you can receive and from some wonderful people.

This is the first fly cruise we have done, in fact only our son as really flown before, so it is a really big adventure for us! We fly from Gatwick. How about you?

We now have a rough idea as to what we intend to do in each port. We too perfer smaller groups and have only booked the following via P&O - the boat trip in St. Vincent (been before and nothing else we wanted to do), swim with turtles in Bardados (as it is the last day and didnt want any worries, but I hear that is really good done privately) and Asa Wright (as a bit worried about the taxi drivers in Trinidad - did send about 15 e-mails to Trinidad but got no replies! - and because of all the help I received above). Booked private tour in Margarita thanks to the wonderful information on this site and Dolphin swim in Tortola. Rest will do by ourselves. What are you up to?

Regards

Heather

Hi Heather

We've nothing booked as yet. Waiting for replies to lots of emails sent to several of the islands. Did try to book a private tour in Margarita but it's booked-guess you got there first! I've only just started researching as we only returned from Canada on the 13th November and I had to research that first. We are also flying from Gatwick. We've only ever done fly/cruises.

This site is a mine of information but not so good for sharing tours on P&O cruises as there are so few Brits. We may well not book tours for some of the islands and see what is available when we disembark. I have been advised to try to do different things on each island or else they all merge into one!

I'll keep you informed if I receive any replies to my emails.

Regards

Elaine

Hi Heather

I've been doing a lot of research with help from these boards.

Tortola-booked nothing, might do Virgin Gorda using Speedys Ferries.

Antigua- booked Lawrence of Antigua recommended on here.

St Kitts-provisionally booked Greg's rainforest tour but he needs 4 people so he will try to find 2 his end and I am going to ask on our rollcall.

St Lucia-booked Cosol recommended on here.

St Vincent-undecided. May do island tour but again they need 4 people. Where would you recommend in St Vincent?

Mayreau-nothing planned.

Isla Margarita-possibly ship's tour "Natural wonders". Can't find any independent tours.

Trinidad-Asa Wright has not replied. Trintours and Banwari are 65$ which is similar to the ship so we may decide to go with the ship. I would have liked to have done Asa Wright and Caroni but no one offered this.

Tobago-quoted 80$ each for personalised tour of the island for the whole day, 9 hours, including Argylle Waterfall fee and lunch.

Barbados-would like to do land and sea tour. Glory tours "Best of Barbados" looks good but waiting to see if the credit card problem has been solved.

I'm getting quite muddled with all the different islands! Yes, some sunshine would be most welcome.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

Great to hear from you. Wonder how Squeakydust is getting on. Better weather than us I expect!

Our plans haven’t changed lately.

Tortola –Swim with Dolphins in am. Walk round town and perhaps a painkiller in the pm if we have any energy left.

Antigua – hope to get taxi to Nelsons Dockyard. As long as the kids don’t go their own way we are already a group of 4. So cannot help much with tour shares.

St. Kitts and St. Lucia – been before so probably taxi from dockside to beach.

St.Vincnet – been before and done P&O Best of Trip (not that exciting), nothing else appealed expect P&O Waterfall and Coastal Adventure. Wanted to go on boat with snorkel at one of the ports, and couldn’t find much info on private tours. Not a very a very tourist orientated island, or at least it wasn’t.

Mayreau – day on beach – would like to walk to village and beyond to see Bob Marley café.

Margarita – sorry, yes we have booked Marcella. Wanted to see as much of the island as possible. (Again there are the four of us, sorry cannot offer to share)

Trinidad – Like you wanted to do Asa Wright and Caroni, but have settled for P&O Asa Wright booked online, but was really interested in any reply you might have received.

Tobago – Hope to get a taxi from dockside for tour round south of island. Your tour sounds really good, but a little long at 9 hours for us! Do you have any more details? Also thought $80 each quite expensive, especially for four.

Barbados – Booked P&O short swim with turtles tour for am. Wanted short trip to maybe pack later. Might try Boatyard as our son used to go there when he worked for Cunard.

What’s this about a Roll Call? Is there one? Where? I look in on Cruise Connections, but not seen one anywhere.

Will be really interested to hear all about the tours you have booked.

Must get on with Christmas preparations

Best wishes

Heather

I did Asa Wright a couple of years ago. If you are into bird watching it would be a good excursion.

To be honest, for me it was boring. It was a very long ride. At Asa Wright we had a guide that pointed out some birds and did a lot of walking down hill. When it was time to go back to the bus, lots of people had to stop many times to rest since it was now uphill.

There are lots of hummingbirds that come right up to the hotel since they have many feeders.

A pax had given me her excursion ticket so I didn't feel like I blew a lot of money on an excursion I didn't care for.

Hi Gizmo,

Thanks for your information. It has given us something to think about.

My reasoning for doing this excursion was partly because it is an all day trip and would give us the opportunity to see something of the interior of the island. It sounded really interesting, mountain range and rainforest.

Is it really that boring? I guess the kids will sleep most of the way due to partying the night before, so I dont have to worry about them being entertained! I just wanted to see as much as possible. What should I expect? I love scenery, it doesnt have to be too exciting - just interesting.

Have you been to Caroni? Can you compare?

Thanks again.

Some of the views are great, but after awhile it all starts to look the same.

I recall everyone falling asleep on the way back including myself. If you have kids with you they are going to get very bored.

No, I haven't been to Caroni.

On another cruise to Trinidad, I did the ship tour to the Monastery. There are very nice views on this excusion also. The Monastery sits way up in the moutains and there is some nice scenary. I thought this was much more interesting than Asa Wright.

The tour guide at the Monastery was ok but I felt a little rushed. The bus driver and another guide that was on the bus were horrible. Talk about being rushed! I couldn't even buy anything in the shop because they were herding everyone back on the bus.

If I had to do it again I would take a cab to the Monastery. I saw cabs pulling up when we were leaving.

On another cruise we got a cab and toured around the town. We enjoyed it since the driver would stop anywhere I wanted so we could take pictures.

Heather,

The rollcall for Arcadia 13th Jan is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=5277975#post5277975

also

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=156209.

Not sure what to do about Asa Wright now after Gizmo's comments. Still not had anything confirmed yet. The company I contacted do the ship's tours to Asa Wright but they referred me to a different person within the company who could arrange a private tour, but not received a reply yet from them.

For Tobago the company will go where we want. They say they take you where the tour buses do not go. 80$ each was for 2 people, I expect 4 will be less.

Best wishes

Elaine

Hi Gizmo,

Thanks for your information. It has given us something to think about.

My reasoning for doing this excursion was partly because it is an all day trip and would give us the opportunity to see something of the interior of the island. It sounded really interesting, mountain range and rainforest.

Is it really that boring? I guess the kids will sleep most of the way due to partying the night before, so I dont have to worry about them being entertained! I just wanted to see as much as possible. What should I expect? I love scenery, it doesnt have to be too exciting - just interesting.

Have you been to Caroni? Can you compare?

Thanks again.

Hi there. Asa Wright is a bird sanctuary in the Northern range. It is about a 45min to 1 hr drive from the port. You will drive through some dense rain forest on the way there. The sanctuary is on the mountain side with many trails and a small stream. You will see several types of birds but seeing you are in the floor of the forest you wont be seeing much scenery.

Caroni Bird Sanctury is about 25 mins from the port. you then get in a small flat bottom boat that takes you through the mangroves. I believe there is also a small walking tour. It is famous for the red scarlet Ibis birds. The best time to do this tour is the evening when all the birds are returning for the night. Just to give you another option which I think will be the best for scenery. Take a taxi to Maracas beach. you will drive over the same north mountain range seeing alot of natural rain forest. you will come out on the north coast with great views of the sea 200ft below you. the road goes on to Maracas beach where you can have a swim and enjoy a local favorite meal of shark and bake.

Archived