Set Sail Pass/Birth Certificates

Sascol

Not sure how this works...

When we boarded the Jewel on 10-12, we previosuly completed our registration on line and had our set sail pass in hand with our docs and our birth certificates when we boarded. At no time did the rep that checked us in ever look at our birth certificates. How is it possible?

No, always upon check in , the old fashioned way before online, we had to show each birth certificate for all of us. Now the homeland security says passports...so for out jan 2006 cruise we all incur the cost of getting this...only to find out... homeland security now feels we are secure enough without the passports until 2007! Too bad they do not give the passports just gotten an extra year on them. The kids only get 5 years on them and there was not much of a price reduction...Maybe 10 dollar difference.

But what I'm asking is should we not have had to show them (birth certificates) prior to embarkation? We do not have passports yet and have ALWAYS had to show our birth certificates prior to boarding the ship for the 1st time.

Now the homeland security says passports...so for out jan 2006 cruise we all incur the cost of getting this...only to find out... homeland security now feels we are secure enough without the passports until 2007!

Did they really extend the date on the requirement to have passports for the Caribbean? I wanted to take Mom & her hubby on a cruise next year but they don't want to get passports! (Yeah, I know......it's bizarre.......but they are a bit eccentric LOL!) This would be good news for me if it's true.

Gail

I just got back. RCI checked out BC and Driver's license witht eh sea pass and credit card when checking in. There was NO one from customs checking us at all when we got off. we jsut handed in our declaration form and walked right off. No document check or x-ray. they may have checked the luggage but our carry-on wasn't checked at all.

Picture ID is needed with credit card.

We were planning on just using Birth Certs for the kids - no passports. We're going to Caribbean in December. If they don't look at the birth certs, what do they look for on kids, or do they just assume they are OK if the adult's ID is OK? Don't want to blow this and find out I was wrong at the last minute when we're boarding.

Did they really extend the date on the requirement to have passports for the Caribbean?

Yes, it's true. The requirement was changed to a 12/31/06 implementation date for travel to the Caribbean, among other places.

They most definitely checked our passports on our late August Mariner cruise, even with a Set Sail pass.

I've always had to show both a photo ID and birth certificate at check-in.

While the date has been postponed for passports, my DW and I both applied yesterday at the post office for passports. While we won't need them for our Legend trip this Dec/Jan, we knew we'd need them eventually and know they speed the immigration process. Plus, we'll avoid the rush when the new deadline approaches and will always be ready to go if a great deal comes along where passports are needed.

Archived