Which Beach? Or St John?

cdl324

Hi!

My soon to be husband and I will be coming to St Thomas on our first cruise and first time to St Thomas on October 31! (Honeymoon!) We are trying to plan for a beach day. My fiance is not too fond of crowds, however I have read great things about Magen's Bay. Do you think he would enjoy it there? What other beaches should we consider, and why? Would taking the ferry to St John be a good idea? We arrive at 7am and depart at 5pm.

Thanks in advance!

Secret Harbor is a great beach for snorkeling, swimming, having lunch, a few drinks and relaxing! Does not get all that crowded. :)

It sounds awesome! Do you know how far it is from the cruise port? :)

Our preference is Trunk Bay on St. John. Beautiful beach with a snorkeling area. If you do a cruise excursion the time at the beach is a lot less than if you go on your own. Going on your own requires a little planning. A taxi to Red Hook, catch a ferry to St. John, a taxi to Trunk Bay. Then all in reverse. Also knowing the ferry schedule so you can get back to the ship on time. Being your first cruise I would go on the cruise ship excursion so you don't have any kind of delays that will cause you to miss the ship. The ship will wait for you if you are on a ships excursion.

We have gone to Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas several times. It is about a $9 pp cab ride each way (cabs always waiting to go back to the ship). It is great for snorkeling -on the right side of the beach - or for swimming on the left. Typically small crowds, but snorkel rental, restrooms, and refreshments are available as well as chairs for rent.

Magens is beautiful but is almost always crowded.

Sapphire is lovely& less crowded-I think Bill has a condo there- good snorkeling & food. Here's the web cam.

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

If I were on my honeymoon, I'd splurge & take the Champagne Catamaran excursion that goes to the appropriately named Honeymoon Beach on St John.