1st Time Cruiser - 25th Anniversary

Sherbear67

My kids were in their 20 when we took our first cruise by then they were on their own enjoying life as we were. Enjoy your cruise and since its your first cruise i suggest taking your cruise ship excursions, if you take an outside excursion and something happens to make you late getting back to the ship they will not wait i will hate to read about another passenger being left behind. take plenty of pictures on and off the ship and also do some exciting excursions to me beaches are not exciting, we walked the ocean floor and today thats still a favorite ( what did you do on your honeymoon ).

[quote name=4x4bob

]Take a camera and remember to use it.

Your Girls back home will want to see the photo's of the ship and places you visited.

Bob

Oh there will be PLENTY of pictures taken. :) Our youngest (now 20) went on this same cruise last year with her boyfriend and his family, but on a 8 day one.

Congratulations on your anniversary! Going on your first cruise is a great choice! My parents went on a cruise when I was a child for one of their anniversaries and they loved it so much we did a family cruise a couple years later. That's how my love for cruising started.

Here are some of my suggestions:

By searching around Cruise Critic, you can probably find some dailies that show what went on during similar cruises to yours, so you can get an idea of what may go on during yours. Connect with your roll call here, research what is available on your ship, and figure out things you might want to do while on board before you embark.

Don't just settle on the excursions provided by your cruise line. There are a lot of third party excursions available out there, and at many ports you can figure out things to do on your own without going through a company. Look into all the options available to you. I think this maximizes your experience. I have done third party excursions, and explored ports on my own without problems.... and I'm not *that* experienced with cruising.

A key note to this: if you choose a third party excursion, or choose to do something on your own, ensure you get back to your cruise on time. Doing a cruise line excursion guarantees you will get back to the ship on time OR they will get you to your next destination. Some third parties provide guarantees, but make sure you read what those guarantees include. If you do something on your own, make sure you give yourself enough time to get back to the ship.

I'm not sure how much you enjoy getting into water, especially on the cruise, but I bought a waterproof camera. It's nice to know I don't have to remember whether or not my camera is in my pocket, and if it is where to put it while I get in the hot tub. If that's not an option, you can always look into waterproof cases too!

Thank you. I have added waterproof case to my list. I have been doing alot of reading on the board trying to figure things out. ALOT to read, but that is a good thing.

I cry all the way to the bank every payday. Good grief. You worry about that age? They should be out on there own earning a living and paying their own way. My wife left home after high school, went to college and never looked back. Get on the boat, give the Captain the keys, turn off your phones, (the ship has a number you may be reached at in emergencies) go to lunch and wait til they call cabins open. Settle in and wait for the lifeboat drill. Watch the launch and wave like hell. Forget everything. You aren't driving, flying or taking a train. You're on a ship and enjoy it all. I can be fun if you don't worry.

Yes I worry about my girls at this age. Yes I agree they SHOULD be an i WISH they were, but... I will be fine after the first day. Just first time jitters.

We are going on our first cruise in October to celebrate our 25th Anniversary! Freedom of the Seas deck 7! We are super excited too. Friends will be on the same cruise so we don't feel as nervous. I hear the shows are great!

Congratulations on your 25 years. We are on 7 as well in Feb.

We're going on our first cruise for our anniversary, too! It'll be our 20th in 2018, and we're bringing our daughter (well, she'll be 23 and paying her own way).

Our 22 year old tried talking us into letting her come and she would pay her own way, an I said ahhh heck no. I did tell my husband I would love to do one with our girls one day after they are married.

My kids were in their 20 when we took our first cruise by then they were on their own enjoying life as we were. Enjoy your cruise and since its your first cruise i suggest taking your cruise ship excursions, if you take an outside excursion and something happens to make you late getting back to the ship they will not wait i will hate to read about another passenger being left behind. take plenty of pictures on and off the ship and also do some exciting excursions to me beaches are not exciting, we walked the ocean floor and today thats still a favorite ( what did you do on your honeymoon ).

We are thinking more beach and shopping, or doing our own site seeing (but back in plenty of time for the ship). Our honeymoon almost 25 years ago was a night in a hotel.

Congrats on 25 years! I introduced my parents to cruising 5 years ago, and they were nervous but had a fantastic time. Now they cruise 2 or 3 times each year with a cruise to the Panama Canal coming up in October! They got hooked quickly and found it a perfect way to relax and enjoy each other's company. Just wanted to say have a great cruise and don't try to do everything listed in the dailies. Relax and enjoy!

Congrats on 25 years! I introduced my parents to cruising 5 years ago, and they were nervous but had a fantastic time. Now they cruise 2 or 3 times each year with a cruise to the Panama Canal coming up in October! They got hooked quickly and found it a perfect way to relax and enjoy each other's company. Just wanted to say have a great cruise and don't try to do everything listed in the dailies. Relax and enjoy!

Thank you. :)

Our 22 year old tried talking us into letting her come and she would pay her own way, an I said ahhh heck no. I did tell my husband I would love to do one with our girls one day after they are married.

I wouldn't agree if she was the third passenger in our room, but she'll be sharing a room with my mother-in-law. I have a feeling we'll see a lot of her in the beginning, but then eventually just meeting up for dinner or excursions.

Edited by Krozulo

I wouldn't agree if she was the third passenger in our room, but she'll be sharing a room with my mother-in-law. I have a feeling we'll see a lot of her in the beginning, but then eventually just meeting up for dinner or excursions.

Yeah, she would have been in our room.

We are going on our 1st cruise in Feb and was just wondering if there is any advice you would like to share? Do's and Don'ts, places you loved when visiting and places to stay away from,must eat at and must NOT eat at, stuff like that. It shows we dock at 5:30 am so what time do you usually get off the ship? We are on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas deck 7 room 7408. We are going to Cayman, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. I am as excited as excited gets as we have talked about doing this for the past 5 years but are just now doing it. I am also a touch nervous, but I am sure most are their 1st time.

About five years ago, shortly after our 25th, my wife and I went on our first cruise. The best thing that happened to me during my prep time was finding cruise critic and these boards! So you're halfway there. Just poke around and ask questions when you have them. MOST of the folks here are friendly and helpful, unless you start asking about dress codes.

We visited Cayman & Cozumel for the first time last year, and we LOVED Cayman. I echo what I read elsewhere...try for a private excursion, and one that includes Stingray City. It is SO much fun. If you like snorkeling, tag that on to the excursion...there is a good reef near the stingrays. It's also a pleasant place to just stroll around. You will be tendered there, meaning the ship doesn't dock, but you have to ride a smallish boat to shore. Just don't be surprised...the Daily planner will have info on how to get your tickets to a tender. Then that morning, listen to the PA system...we have ALWAYS been called earlier than expected.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Main thing...you will have a blast and you will occasionally be overwhelmed by your choices of things to do. But it's a good overwhelmed!