Happy when you send a Cruiseline bust?

I agree that the current curise prices are great value. However, we also give up some. As I remember, our first curise (Monrach OTS in 1994), the food ingredients and servces are more upscale then our most recent curise (Navigator OTS - Oct 05). Adjusted for inflation, we are paying less for NOTS then MOTS but we no longer feel we are cruising on a premium ocean liner any more.

Guys, I do not doubt your stories of past cruises having bad buffets. That said, our first cruise was in 1994 on RCCL's Majesty, which was the biggest and newest at the time. The food and service were excellent - no dried up burgers, etc. We took the same cruise again in 1995 and it was exactly the same high quality. I can tell you that the food and level of service today does not compare. Anyone who sailed the Majesty, Sovereign, Monarch, etc. during the early to mid 1990's will tell you that.

The food is more mass market, chain restaurant style and there are fewer wait staff and cabin staff per cruiser than in those days. Is cruising still a bargain? Probably so, we still enjoy it. Although the experience is not the same as it used to be, the cruise fare itself is lower. BUT... we do spend a good bit more on our Seapass account than before. I know no one is forcing us to, but the issue at hand is whether cruising is cheaper in real 2005 dollars. If you really compare apples to apples, it is not. Yes, you are paying less, but you are also getting less. To get the same cruise you got 10-12 years ago, you would have to spend a good deal more than the published price.

All said & done, apparently enough people are satisfied with what they get for the money that RCCL is still in business and doing well. As said before, we still go every year at least once. The one thing the "whiners" have right is that RCCL and other cruise lines continue to whittle away at what the initial fare covers. They do this to keep the prices low and lure cruisers on board where they temp them with "extras" and "options".

To those who are quite satisfied today: Take notes and check back in another 10 years to see what you are getting for your initial fare then vs. today. Our bet is that if they keep building more big ships, they will continue to try to hold down fares to keep the cabins filled, but you will see other expenses go up, and you will see many of the things you are getting now become "extras". Those who are new to cruising then will be saying it is a bargain and you may be in my position of telling them how much better it "used to be".

Inflation is a fact of economic life. Costs go up, not down. Some factors such as technological advances may offset this, or even cause cost reductions in the short run. In the long run (15-20 year periods), costs increase. The cruise industry has managed to mask cost increases by reducing quality and service, and by increasing revenue from on board marketing. Over the next several years they will have two choices: raise fares to match cost increases or reduce quality & service. If customers will not accept reductions in quality, they will have to increase revenue somehow either by raising base fares or by increasing fares indirectly by making items that are now standard into extra cost options. That is the way it has been and probably will continue to be.

Here's what I don't understand-I have sailed on Navigator, Voyager, Rhapsody, and so forth, many times, and I have never eaten at Chops or any other "extra cost" restaurant-because, quite frankly, to me and my family, food is food, and I would rather eat Windjammer or the dining room, then spend my money on other things like excursions, shopping and gambling-

What I don't understand are those folks who constantly complain that they are "forced" to pay extra for Chops and other things-I have never felt forced to eat there, so I never have. Just because it's there, doesn't mean you need to eat there-if you don't like the extra cost, don't pay them.

Myself, I would rather have the lower cost cruise fare, then pick and choose the extras I want-

for me and my family:

extra dining- no,

drinks-no,

gambling/bingo-yes,

FOS aquapark and flow rider-yes,

photos-yes,

and so forth.

To me, it's always better to have a choice. For those financially fortunate enough to be able to afford all those extras, that's great-but for those who can barely afford to crusie with their families now, allowing them choices on what NOT to pay for may just be the deciding factor as to wheter or not they are able to cruise at all.

That's why there are Owner's suites and inside cabins and everything in between-not all people can afford all things, but for those who can afford them, they are available.

out of curiosity, I checked out prices, and it was only about $78 per CABIN per night, not per PERSON, but you had to pay extra for them to come clean it...im sure you had to pay for a lot of extras. however, I think its still a cool idea.

out of curiosity, I checked out prices, and it was only about $78 per CABIN per night, not per PERSON, but you had to pay extra for them to come clean it...im sure you had to pay for a lot of extras. however, I think its still a cool idea.

If I were cruising myself / w friends or if my wife ok'ed it, (highly unlikely), I would be willing to try it out as a couple, but I wouldn't take my children on this ship on a dare.

I like the ala carte type of sitution on cruises now. DH and I don't drink much at all (less than $150 on last 4 day cruise - including sodas), and I don't want to subsidize someone else's drinks (which in essence, if cruises included beverages, is what would be happening. With this approach, you can spend as little or as much as you want, really allowing the consumer to control their budget. Dollar for Dollar, you can't beat the per diem rate! Keep up the good work cruise lines!:D

I agree. I like the lower price that includes everything you really NEED, the extra stuff like drinks, speciality restaurants, photos, etc. are up to you whether to buy our not. Our first cruise on the Majesty for our honeymoon, we only spent about $300 total for all shore excursions, drinks, photos, and souvenirs on the ship. Added to our oceanview room at $430pp, we spent about $1200 for our honeymoon. (We used FF miles for airfare.)

I'd love to do EasyCruise to do some island hopping in the Grenadines, but it's more "transportation" than "cruise". I think it's a great concept. I also don't think it will last. In Europe the whole hosteling thing is very ingrained in their culture. I'm not sure they'll do enough business in the Caribbean to make it worthwhile.

Archived