Help Nitra Re: Tipping

Ruby0704

Since your DH is employed by a cruise line I was just wandering if you could explain to him how the gratuites are handled?

For instance we always tip our room steward upon arrival. No special request or anything we just feel that they work so hard for us that they deserve more than the "standard gratuity" we always leave at least the standard at the end of the cruise however, I have read in several threads that any cash you give to them prior to the last evening they must put in a pool to be divided. Is this true? If so is there someway I could make it clear to our cabin steward that this is in addition to the standard gratuity therefore it is "their money"?

Thanks for your help regarding this matter.

Cash tips are their tips to keep. They do not pool tips. EXCEPT say if your cabin steward has a team mate that helps him, then he/she gives a portion of their tip to that person for helping them. The bartenders share their tips with all the bar waiters working, I believe, except cash tips again. The bar waiters give a portion of their tips to anyone that assists them, such as a bar back, working in the back room helping make the drinks, keep fruit cut etc. If there is a waiter or assitant waiter in training, working with another waiter/assistant waiter, then they share their tips with that person. They dont split tips, only give a portion.

Now he is on NCL and they do not get tips. Those automatic tips they take are part of the pay. They just pay them a bit more. Sometimes they get cash tips and they get to keep them but anything not cash they dont see.

I feel for these people that work on the ships. For instance, my hubby got up and started at 5am today, worked until 10am, was off for an hour, went out and mailed me his check, went back, changed, was back on at 11am, worked until 4pm. got off, changed into another uniform and is working 5p to about midnight and then starts all over tomorrow at 5am. He is exhausted and he told me tonight his feet are covered with blisters from being on them all day running around.

Basically anything given to them in cash is their money. That is why they like the cash tips so much.

It is not necessary to give them a tip at the first of the week, I always tip extra and do it at the end of the week if they earned it, and I have never had anyone that didnt.

Nitra,

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate it very much. I am so glad to know that they get to keep their money. I have no problem with them splitting with someone that is assisting. I had just read so many post about it having to be pooled that I just wanted the facts and knew you would know.

I know the crew members work very hard and earn every bit of their $$$ and then some. We have never received anything but excellent service and make sure that we let them know that they done a great job! By giving them extra $$.

How long has your DH been back on ship?

Thanks again,

Cruzn4Fun,

Vicki

Archived